Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

1998 Taurus. Blend door actuator motor apparently has broken

1998 Taurus. Blend door actuator motor apparently has broken gear. Constantly makes click, click click noise. I bought a set of the radio/instrument panel release clips and was able to access the actuator and unplug it that way. The noise then stopped but it is now stuck on A/C. My questions: 1) Can the bad part be removed and replaced using the radio "hole" once the radio has been removed, and the glove box access once the glove box is pulled down? How? 2) If so, what is the default heat/cool knob setting before plugging in the new one. 3) Is this generally a dealer-only part? What else do I need to know?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

The blend door acuator is likely you bad part if it was clicking as it was stripped. Enclosed are instruction for replacement.

It will return to normal position once you install it. Yes its a dealer part only.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. One question. Our Taurus has the split seats vs buckets as shown so there is no console panel to remove. Does that panel allow any extra access to the actuator or is that just a picture in case the car would have that feature and the access is from the bottom regardless. Sounds like I am going to be doing this upside down... Thanks again.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
Its just in the picture in case. You should be fine with the instructions. Yes you will be a bit upside down but not to bad of a job.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok thanks for the quick reply. I'll head to the Ford dealer for a part and get ready for some vertigo :)
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
Thank you as well.