chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

Remove and replace 1994 taurus speedometer cable

Customer Question

remove and replace 1994 taurus speedometer cable
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

graphic

Hi there

Look at the top left pic ,,, this is how the speedo cable secures to the speedo head,,,look under the drivers side of the dash and you will find a gray cable going to the speedo head,,,as you can see there is a release tab to push on the cable and then the cable pulls off the speedo head ---you should be able to reach your hand up and under the dash and get your finger on this tab and push down on it ,,,then pull the cable down ---

then move out to the engine compartment ,,, you will see the gray cable going to the speed sensor on the trans, the cable just pulls out of it ,,, pull and wiggle it out ---then you can go back inside the car and pull the whole cable out of the car

any more info on this ,just ask,,,we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The speedometer just would not work for about 15 min of aXXXXX then it would bounce between 0 and 65 and hover then go back to 0. On the second drive of the trip it worked fine for about 10 min and then just quit. Cable or Sensor? or is it a 50/50 chance:)

Thanks

Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

The question is speedo head, speedo cable , speed sensor , or speedo gear -----???

it could be any of these

so lets start at an easy point ,, pull off the cable from the transmission and pull it up and out so you can spin the cable with a electric drill ----and see if the speedo reads on the dash ,,, if it does ,,,then your problem is below the cable ,,,, if it does not ,,,then its either the cable or the speedo head -----tell me what you get with a electric drill ,,,try both directions with the drill

Chris