Vincent, Ford Senior Master Technician
Experience:  28 years as Tech.

1994 Ford Ranger: focus..power steering..gear box..(out put shaft

I need advise. I'm doing my own repairs on my 1994 Ford Ranger and my focus is the replacment of the oil seal that is leaking at the select gear shaft on my power steering gear box. (out put shaft that the steer pitman arm is fasten to.) The Ranger is a 2X4. Can you instruct me in the how, into the proper way in removing and installing this seal externally. I received a Ford seal kit # XXXXX Enclose, 1 o-ring, 1 snap ring, and two different encase seals. I'm doing this seal change with the gear box still mounted on the truck. I removed the snap ring and heres where I ask for your help. How to remove the seal (s) and best way to install the new seal(s).

Remove the snap ring from the lower end of the steering gear housing .
Remove dust seal using Puller Attachment T58L-101-B and Slide Hammer T59L-100-B. Discard the seal.
Remove pressure seal in the same manner. Discard the seal.

NOTE: Proper seal installation tools and procedures must be used to prevent damage to seals during assembly.

Lubricate the new pressure seal and dust seal with Ford Multi-Purpose Grease D0AZ-19584-AA (ESR-M1C159-A) or equivalent.
Apply Ford Multi-Purpose Grease D0AZ-19584-AA (ESR-M1C159-A) or equivalent to the sector shaft seal bore.
Place the dust seal on Sector Shaft Replacement Tool T77L-3576-A so the raised lip of the seal is toward the tool.
NOTE: Failure to use proper seal installation tools and procedures may damage the seals and cause a fluid leak.

Place the pressure seal on the tool with lip away from the tool. The flat back side of the pressure seal should be against the flat side of the dust seal.

Insert the seal driver tool into the sector shaft bore and drive the tool until the seals clear the snap ring groove. Do not bottom seals against bearing. The seal will not function properly when bottomed against the bearing.
Install snap ring in the groove in the steering gear housing .
Apply a generous amount of Ford Multi-Purpose Grease D0AZ-19584-AA (ESR-M1C159-A) or equivalent, to the areas between the two seal lips.