Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford Lincoln/Mercury and Jaguar dealer as a technician and shop foreman.
10437779

1995 Ford Explorer: The heater does not get hot it just gets warm

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Ford Explorer. The heater does not get hot it just gets warm. Do you know what I need to replace? I have already replaced the compressor.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Do you have auto or manual climate control? Do you feel a change in the outlet air temp when moving from hot to cold?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it has auto. Yes I feel and change when I move from hot to cold.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
You may have a prolem with the temperature blend door motor or door itself inding. Do this test. Press and hold the OFF and FLOOR uttons at the same time then release both and press the AUTO button. This will do the self test. If you have codes 24 or 25 then you need to lower the glove box and locate the blend door motor. You will be able to feel the white part of the motor to see if it's moving when going hot to cold. Since the problem is intermittent it will be difficult to diagnose.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is the blend door this http://www.blenddoorfix.netfirms.com/
also does 24 or 25 come up on the ac unit?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Yes that is the blend door and yes the codes will come up on the digital display.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so if 24 or 25 come up the blend door is no good? can i buy a new blend door actuator and will this fix it instead of doing what the site says putting a pin through it? or is it the   other end which needs to be replaced.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
If you have those codes you need to check to see if the motor is turning. If it is then you most likely will have the door broken as outlined in that procedure. I have never done that procedure we always replace the heater box which of course is a lot of work since the dash needs to be removed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the whole dash need to be removed? What does the heater box look like? is it hard to replace. The dealer is to expensive and i am on a tight budget so I need to do it myself. do you have a procedure on how to do it?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
If the door is cracked as described on that site you can fix it with their procedure but the correct way is to replace the box. Yes the whole dash assembly will need to be removed to replace the box. We charge about 8 hours labor for the job.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
also is there another blend door for the back ac unit. because no air is coming out the back
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Yes the rear in an independent unit with it's own blower and door. Let me know if the rear blower is working or is it a heat/cooling problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i just came back and codes 24 and 25 did not come up. do you know what it can be or what part i need to change i felt the hose and they are warm.

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
If the hoses are hot and you will do not have heat then the door is most likely cracked. To verify this you need to remove the motor and check the door as described in the website. If it is cracked you can try their fix which I have never done or replace the heater chamber.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
also what part do i need to replace to get heat or cold air to flow in the back where the center console is? and where is it?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Do you have any air coming out? If so does it change fromhot to cold?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i hear the motor but no air
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
If you hear the motor but you have no air flow either the duct fell off or it's blocked by the door or a piece of foam. You will have to take it apart to be sure but those are the most common.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does the door open and close and if so what controls it? what is that part number to control the door opening and closing in the rear?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

The rear unit has a seperate blend door motor.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where is the diagram located? is it near the engine or under the engine
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
The front blend door is located behind the dash. The pic that I uploaded was a blown up view of the rear system.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where is the rear system located?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
The rear system is under the console.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is it under the center console where the cd are? is this also the fan motor?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
If you have the auxilary climate controls for the rear on the center console then yes the unit is under the console.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes i have it and wow this unit is deep under the console. I remember once i was taking the rear console apart and i got to a metal bracket. i did not remove the metal bracket but how much more do I need to take out to get to the blend door? Also what is the part number of the rear blend door? I see it in the diagram but it does not say the part number. Thanks for answering my questions.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
The blend door is part of that whole unit. You can get the actuator seperate.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you know the part number for the rear actuator?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
I will check with my parts department.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
also do you have a diagram of a 95 separate blend door motor.
the diagram you sent was for a 2002 explorer.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
That pic should be for your 95 model.