Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

98 Ford Escort: blower motor has stopped working..switch in the dash

I have a 98 Ford Escort and the blower motor has stopped working. I changed the switch in the dash with no luck. I have also changed the blower motor. After changing the blower motor, I tested the old one with a batterie charger and it worked fine.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

At the blower motor, back probe and ground the Blue/Black (BL/BK) wire and verify the blower motor runs on high speed.

If the blower works when grounded, ground the BL/BK wire at the blower resistor connector. If the blower does not run when grounding the wire there, locate and repair the open circuit between the blower motor and resistor.

If the blower runs on high when grounding the wire at the blower resistor, turn the blower switch to the high position. Then jump the BL/BK wire at the blower resistor connector to the Blue/White (BL/W) wire at the resistor connector and the blower should run on high speed. If it does, replace the faulty blower resistor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Tried grounding the blue black and still nothing. Could it be the resistor it plugs into, I removed that and it is very rusty.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 years ago.
Yes it very likely is the resistor as this is the test I sent you. If the switch and motor test good chance are the risistor is blown.