Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

How do you adjust the rear brakes on a 2007 Ford Focus ... or do you?

Category: Ford
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
You should not need to adjust the brakes, if they are drum brakes they have self adjusters and disk brakes never need to be adjusted
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I replaced the rotors and disk brake pads in the front end ... but there seemd to be "not enough peddle" when braking ... I thought the rear pads were adjustable ... apparently not! They appear to be the same thickness of the new ones ... maybe bleeding and in what order?

Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.

Did this problem start when you replaced the front brakes or before that?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
After ...
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Did you pump the pedal several time since then? Did you remove the brake lines?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have driven the car ... brakes OK ... peddle not "tight" ... no I did not remove the lines.
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean by the peddle is not tight?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have to press it half way to the floor to engage the brakes.
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
The problem could be air in the system and you may need to bleed the system but the problem could also be the brake pads themselves if you installed really cheap pads on the front they can also give this feeling, did you install a good pad?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes ...
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Then I would start by bleeding the brakes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll do that and if it works "accept" your answer.
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.

I stated above the rear brakes have a self adjuster they adjust when backing up below is a process you can do if you believe the rear brakes are out of adjustment, it may help but I really do not see why it would have started after you replaced the front brakes.

BRAKE SHOE ADJUSTMENT
1. Raise and support the vehicle so that the rear wheels are off the ground.
2. With the aid of an assistant, rotate the rear wheel while applying the brake pedal 4 times.
3. Repeat Step 2 for the opposite rear wheel.
4. Carry out the parking brake cable adjustment.
5. Lower the vehicle.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK ... I've tried all I'm willing to do ... Brake Check holds no weight with me (bunch od used car dealers that ended up there) ... I'll get the system evacuated and go fron there.

Thanks for for your efforts!

Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Good luck with your repair.