john, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 years in the business and still going

2000 Taurus: radiator drain plug to flush and fill the radiator?

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Taurus. Where is the radiator drain plug to flush and fill the radiator?
Category: Ford
Expert:  john replied 6 years ago.

WARNING: To avoid personal injury, do not unscrew the coolant pressure relief cap while engine is operating or hot. The cooling system is under pressure; steam and hot liquid can come out forcefully when the cap is loosened slightly.

CAUTION: The coolant must be recovered in a suitable, clean container for reuse. If the coolant is contaminated it must be recycled or disposed of correctly.

Note: About 80% of coolant capacity can be recovered with the engine in the vehicle. Dirty, rusty or contaminated coolant requires replacement.

1. Release the pressure in the cooling system by slowly turning the pressure relief cap one half turn counterclockwise. When the pressure is released, remove the pressure relief cap.
  2. Place a suitable container below the radiator draincock.
  1. Open the draincock and allow to drain.
  2. Close the radiator draincock when finished.

CAUTION: Engine coolant provides freeze protection, boil protection, cooling efficiency and corrosion protection to the engine and cooling components. In order to obtain these protections, the engine coolant must be maintained at the proper concentration and fluid level in the degas bottle.
When adding engine coolant, use a 60/40 mixture of clean drinkable water and engine coolant.
To maintain the integrity of the coolant and the cooling system:

• Add Premium Engine Coolant E2FZ-19549-AA (CXC-8-B in Canada, F5FZ-19549-CC in Oregon) or an equivalent meeting Ford specification ESE-M971144-A.
  • Do not add orange-colored EXTENDED LIFE COOLANT such as F6AZ-19544-A or equivalent, meeting Ford specification WSS-MM44-D. Mixing coolants may degrade the coolant's corrosion protection.
  • Do not add alcohol or methanol or any engine coolants mixed with alcohol or methanol antifreeze. These can cause engine damage from overheating or freezing.
  • Do not mix with recycled coolant unless it meets the requirements of Ford specification ESE-M97B44-A. Not all coolant recycling processes meet this specification; use of such a coolant may harm the engine and cooling system components.

1. Add the correct engine coolant mixture to the degas bottle until the coolant level is between the "COOLANT FILL LEVEL" marks.
  2. Select the maximum heater temperature and blower motor speed settings. Position the control to discharge air at A/C vents in instrument panel.
  3. Start the engine and allow to idle. While engine is idling, feel for hot air at A/C vents.
  4. CAUTION: If air discharge remains cool and engine coolant temperature gauge does not move, engine coolant level is low in engine and must be filled. Stop engine, allow to cool and fill cooling system. Start engine and allow to idle until normal operating temperature is reached. Hot air should discharge from A/C vents. The engine coolant temperature gauge should maintain a stabilized reading in the middle of the NORMAL range and the upper radiator hose should feel hot to the touch.
  5. Shut the engine off and allow to cool.
  6. Check the engine for coolant leaks.
  7. Check the engine coolant level in degas bottle and fill as necessary.