Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford Lincoln/Mercury and Jaguar dealer as a technician and shop foreman.

1998 Lincoln Continental: V8..Service Engine Soon runs

Customer Question

1998 Lincoln Continental V8 - Service Engine Soon light just came on ... the car runs fantastic.. Oil changed last month. How do fix this or get the light to turn off
Category: Ford
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to

When the service engine soon light comes on the powertrain control module has detected a fault and has turned the light on. You will need a compatible scan tool to read the codes that are logged. Most autozones and advanced autos will read the codes at no charge. If you would like let me know what they are so I can assist you with the diagnosis and repair. It can be as simple as a loose gas cap but can be something that can lead to a problem.