Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist

check engine code 1518....Intake Manifold Runner Control Fault-Stuck

check engine code 1518....Intake Manifold Runner Control Fault-Stuck Open

This is generally caused by the clips breaking that attach the IMRC linkage rods to the runner shafts.I would check these clips first.If broken you will need to purchase them from a Ford dealer.With the rod disconnected from the runner shaft make sure the runners are not seized by rotating the shafts by hand.You can also check the IMRC operation by starting the engine and having someone perform brief wide open throttle acceleration while watching the actuator rods they should move back and forth briefly during the acceleration.The assembly is located on the front of the intake manifold (passenger side).See pic and let me know if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX on the rod end on the near side is broken. Will the check engine light self clear after a pre-determined number of cycles (after I fix the broken part)?

Your welcome.

You can disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or so.If that does not work then disconnect BOTH cables from the battery and touch them together for a second or so,this will discharge the capacitors that keep the memory powered and will reset the computer.Your code reader does not have a clear code function? I would check that first.