Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

F150: stalls..idling..tach shows 500 rpm with trans in drive.

My 04 F150 with a 5.4 sometimes stalls at idle. I think it could be idling too slow. the tach shows 500 rpm with trans in drive.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. A common problem on the 04 was a dirty throttle body and some cases a bad TB sensor.

Remove the inlet air tube from the Electronic Throttle Body (ETB). Using a suitable cleaner and brush, (a baby bottle brush works well for this) clean the ETB bore and plate as needed and recheck for proper operation.

If condition continues, replace the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and reflash the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) per TSB 05-14-4.

I am encloseing the TSB for your review as well.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So if cleaning the TB does not help,I will need to take it to a dealership?
Yes if cleaning the TB dosnt not help you will likely need to have the PCM reflashed. I would try cleaning it first as this often works. Once you have cleaned it , remove the positive battery cable for 10 minutes to reset the PCM and fuel trim.