Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech

2000 Ford Focus: a slight smell of exhaust gases..vents..idles..rough

Customer Question

My 2000 Ford Focus has a slight smell of exhaust gases coming through the vents. Does not happen when air conditioner is on, just heater. It idles rather rough but still does good on gas mileage. The smell goes away when the car is in motion. Could it be the EGR value, or EGR valve tube leaking? Thanks for your help.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 8 years ago.

Yes it is likely the EGR tube,they have a habit of coming loose where the flange nut threads into the exhaust manifold,the nut is locatedon the back side of the engine near the bottom,you can see it by looking down at the exhaust manifold from the right side under the hood.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So at this point should I just replace the tube and not the EGR valve itself? Also, if is is indeed the EGR tube, how does the exhaust gases actually get into the heating system?
Expert:  Ray M. replied 8 years ago.
Usually all you need to do is tighten the nut and that will stop the leak,the exhaust gets into the heater because the engine fan pushes the fumes back and out under the hood and right into the heater intake thus into the car.