chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

2001 Ford Explorer Sport: blower..air conditioning..I checked fuses

Customer Question

2001 Ford Explorer Sport 4L - the heater is not working, but the blower and air conditioning are working. I checked fuses 6 and 10 and they were both in working condition. Does it have to be the thermostat?
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 8 years ago.

Hi there

To me it sounds like you could have a bad blend door motor or the door the motor turns is broken ----the blend door motor is an electric motor that turns a door in the dash a/c plenum that controls hot and cold --- to check this motor ,open the glove box and pull in its two rear tabs so the glove box can be folded down all the way ---now you can see the blend door motor mounted center high ---it has a small white conector going to it ---

graphic

use a flash light and look between the motor and whats its mounted to--- the motor has a shaft that comes out of it and goes into the plenum to move the door ---look at the shaft and at the same time move the temputure from all the way hot to all the way cold and watch the motors shaft ,, if it does not move then the motor is probly bad ---- the motor is about $90 ----

if the motors shaft does move then I might have some bad news for you --- the door it turns may be broken ,,, the only way to check this is to remove the motor and look at ware the shaft goes into ,,, you have use a mirror and a flash light to see the hole the shaft goes into ,,, if it looks cracked ,,,then the hole a/c plenum has to be replaced ,,, this means the dash has to come out to do this --- Parts are $250 and labor is $600

tell me what you find , we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Expert:  chris replied 8 years ago.

Hi there

If you need more info on this ,,just ask

if not then please hit the accept button

Thanks,,,Chris