AutoDoc
AutoDoc, ASE and Ford Master
Experience:  Ford Senior Master, Diesel Certified, electrical, powertrain, heating and a/c. 18 years experience.
12253114

1197 Ford explorer: good battery..fuse box..engine compartment

1197 Ford explorer, good battery, but no power anywhere, none in fuse box or distribution box in engine compartment
Category: Ford
Expert:  AutoDoc replied 6 years ago.

Give me a few minutes and I will get right back to you.

Ok. On the side of the fuse box under the hood, there is a very large 175 amp fuse. Does this fuse have power on both sides?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, thanks, waiting

DT
Expert:  AutoDoc replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did not see a large fuse on the side of the box under the hood, it is smooth on all sides
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did not see a fuse on the side the fuse box is smooth on all sides
Expert:  AutoDoc replied 6 years ago.

See the picture of the fuse box I have attached and circled the fuse in red. I assume you stated your Explorer as a November of 1997? Is that the case?

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Must be a different 1997, my dist box does not look like this, the large fuses are aligned left-right.
not up-down
Expert:  AutoDoc replied 6 years ago.
Ok. I was assuming you had a 1998. That's ok. Have you tried to remove the battery cables and clean the posts and the cables and reinstall them? Sometimes they can corrode and lose connection even when they look ok.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, Battery connections are good. I do have 12 volts at the starter relay/solenoid that is mounted on the side of the engine compartment
Expert:  AutoDoc replied 6 years ago.
Ok. At the starter relay on the fender. There are two large posts. One has one red cable and the other should have at least three cables. One of the cables on the post that has three should be black. That cable actuall carries the power to the fuse box under the hood. Take that cable off at the relay and at the fuse box and ohm the cable to see if it is good.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will do. While I am at it, the lower (hot) post has one red cable and 2 grey cables. the upper post (at chassis ground) has another red cable, the black cable.
Expert:  AutoDoc replied 6 years ago.
Ok. That is your problem. The (hot) post should have 4 cables, 1 red, 2 grey, and 1 black. The other post should only have 1 cable. The one that goes to the starter. You have the power cable for the fuse box on the wrong post. There should not be a chassis ground to this relay.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll shift the cables around, and hope it works.
Expert:  AutoDoc replied 6 years ago.
Ok. Let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I now have power, thanks! But once i tried to start the car, the starter clicked once, and all the lights inside went dim. the dashboard lights are now dim, and the car will not turn over. there is a clicking sound from the engine compartment, but I can't tell if it is from the starter relay or the other relays.
Expert:  AutoDoc replied 6 years ago.

Did you have a cable going to chassis ground from that starter relay?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Found the second problem, poor connection of the cable at the battery terminal, needs to be cleaned, and reterminated. I used a temporary jumper to the starter relay, and the truck is now running!
Expert:  AutoDoc replied 6 years ago.

That's great. I'm glad we got it going for you.

Can you please click on ACCEPT now?

AutoDoc, ASE and Ford Master
Experience: Ford Senior Master, Diesel Certified, electrical, powertrain, heating and a/c. 18 years experience.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, have a great night