AutoDoc, ASE and Ford Master
Experience:  Ford Senior Master, Diesel Certified, electrical, powertrain, heating and a/c. 18 years experience.

2000 Ford Windstar 3.8L Serpentine belt replacement and routing

Customer Question

2000 Ford Windstar 3.8L Serpentine belt replacement and routing diagram
Category: Ford
Expert:  AutoDoc replied 8 years ago.

You will need a 15mm serpentine belt tool to loosen the tensioner.

If you are satisfied with my answer, please click on ACCEPT. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was hoping for more detailed instructions. Do I get to the tensioner from the bottom of the car?
I have done this job on my Explorer and it was a piece of cake... the diagram was under the hood and it practically told me what to do. This van does not have the diagram under the hood, and it seems like a more difficult job. Can a somewhat handy D-I-Y'er handle this job? Do you recommend replacing the tensioner and idler pulley at the same time?
Expert:  AutoDoc replied 8 years ago.
I always recommend replacing the idler and tensioner when replacing the belt. You actually don't even need any tools to do this belt. If you grab the belt between the tensioner and the power steering pump and pull towards the front, it will usually pull the tensioner enough to remove the belt off the alternator and then take the belt off. If that doesn't work then you will need to do it with a tool. I have been able to use a long open end 15mm wrench. You get to it from the top of the engine. It's too hard, it's just a pain to route the belt because there is not alot room to get your hands in there. If you did it on an Explorer, you shouldn't have any problems.