Tech Xpert
Tech Xpert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  33 Years of experience including ASE Master Tech 27 certifications, L1 Advanced Diagnosis
12598584

93 taurus: 3.8L..V6..the car, it wont start, but the fuel pump

Customer Question

I have a 93 taurus 3.8L V6. Sometimes when you try to start the car, it won't start, but the fuel pump and the cooling fan stay on and continuously run. It turns over fine with plenty of power from the battery. I have recently done a full tune up on it because the ditributor car & rotor were bad and also did the plugs and wires. After looking at the schematic in the Haynes manual I thought the most likely cause would be the constant control relay (parts store gave me a computer but that wasn't the problem) and the car doesn't have a fuel pump realy. Got any other ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tech Xpert replied 6 years ago.

Hi adams,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do the best that I can to help you.

Does the vehicle have spark when the no start condition occures?

How many miles?

Thanks,

Vinny

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Pretty sure it does, it has 155k on it. Rotor, cap, wire, and plugs are new

It is important to verify that it has spark before we go forward with the diagnosis. Remove the coil wire from the center of the distributor cap and hold it near the engine block ground. Have someone crank the engine and see of you get a good healthy blue and orange spark.

I have access to the wiring diagrams and we can look into the fuel pump and cooling fan issue once we see if it has spark.

Thanks,

Vinny

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes it does have spark.

The most common problem that fits your description is the integrated controller that is located at the top of the radiator support. These units were known to go bad and cause exactly the conditions that you describe.

If you want to go through all of the electrical tests to verify this, let me know. Otherwise maybe you can find one of these at a junk yard for a few bucks and give it a shot.

Please accept if this helped you.

Thanks,

Vinny

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already tried to change that out as I indicated with my original question.
Ok sorry. I will opt out to give someone else a shot because will not be able to get to this until later tonight and I don't want to hang you up. Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok

.