Kevin
Kevin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician with L1 certification. 20 years auto electric, driveabilty and A/C knowledge.
12651422

1997 Ford Explorer: the parking lights come..high beams..lever..fuses

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer, the headlights do not come on with the switch or the twilight sensor, the parking lights come on, the high beams come on only when you hold the lever back to flash, but does not stay on when you push it forward. I've checked the fuses and replaced the headlight switch as well, and the same problem remains. What's the deal?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like a faulty multi-function switch. The flash to pass high beams work because it's a seperate circuit altogther within the switch and has a seperate power source for its use. The regular hi and low beams get the same source voltage from the headlamp switch and is cycled between the two using the dimmer part of the switch, as you already know. I would access the multi-function switch and check the connector condition. It may be burnt, have loose terminals or even a pushed out pin. If these are ok, you probably need a new multi-function switch. If one of the connections is burnt, the switch will probly still need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Where exactly is the multi-function switch located? Is it under the steering wheel column at the base of the lever?
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.
The multi-function sw is your headlamp dimmer, turn signal and wiper switch. It's all one unit.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm assuming you can access this by removing the plastic cover that's over the steering column, and the connection is at the base of the stick,is that correct?
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.
Yes. There are 2 connectors on the switch. You need to look at the one on top.