AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1995 Ford Escort: you send a diagram or describe..starter relay

Customer Question

1995 Ford Escort - Can you send a diagram or describe in detail where to find starter relay?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 years ago.
Hello. There is no actual starter relay. Here is the complete diagram.

graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Parts store sold spouse a starter relay for 1995 Ford Escort. The engine will not turn over. If I use screwdriver and cross over starter wire and cylnoid wire engine will turn over. Please advise.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 years ago.
Sounds like you could be missing a power from the ignition switch.

Check power on the small wire to the solenoid with a voltmeter when cranking.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What would I be looking for in volt adjustment? I know the wire is hot with test light but glows dim.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 years ago.
A voltmeter would best tool to use to check for voltage.

You are going to want to have battery voltage on the small wire while cranking. About 12 volts or so.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
If while cranking I am not getting 12 volts does that mean ignition switch needs to be replaced? Is is key switch part or the electrical connector on back (that is what the key switch goes into)? After answer will accept payment. Thanks
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 years ago.
If you are getting power to the solenoid when cranking, chances are the starter motor is bad.

If you are not getting voltage when cranking, then anything up stream in the circuit could cause this. Ignition switch, safety switch or an open in a wire.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We know starter is good, battery is new, battery terminals new, cleaned engine ground. Just trying to nail this problem down. Again thanks for your help. Will probably replace ignition switch after this - problem is screws on it have smooth heads.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 8 years ago.
Well if you need me to point you in the right direction, just let me know! I will be able to figure this out if you do some testing for me.