Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2000 ford Escort ZX2: turn signals/flashers quit..tail lights

Customer Question

2000 ford Escort ZX2, brake lights and turn signals/flashers quit. Replaced flasher unit (blue box, two plug in clusters), brake light switch tests good. I have tail lights. All fuses in panel are good. All lights work (both elements on those with two). Help!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for visiting Just Answer. I will do my very best to help you resolve your concerns by asking questions if needed then suppling a answer. Gaining your TRUST in myself and knowledge is my goal. I try my hardest to respond in a timely matter and I will respond to any reply anytime I am on line.

• Does the third brake light work?
  • Do the front turn signals work?
  • Do the front turn signals blink rapidly?
  • Do the 4 way flashers work at every exterior lamp?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
third light hasn't worked in 3 years. 4 ways work only if I supply a hotwire to the yellow side of the plug that goes into the flasher unit (cross the black/green wire fron the blue unit to the green one on the yellow unit), then flashers work fine, but can not get the brake lights off. When I do this, all turn signals work, but flash rapidly
Can you check the 3rd brake light socket while commanding the brakes to see if it even is getting power?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it soes not have power, but like I said, it hasn't worked for years....

I have attached all the turn signal and stop light wire diagrams so you can follow the signals from the brake pedal position switch and the multifunction switch. Sounds like your experienceing wire breakage somewhere in the circuit but I can pinpoint it from my end without the vehicle. The signal is going to come out of the flasher unit then to the fuse box before lighting the lights. All lower brake light signals first have to go through the multifunction switch.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
with what I can get (everything working, but can not turn off brake lights) when I hotwire the yellow side of the flasher unit, ...best guess??? Have you ever seen this problem before? I see the question posed on a number of sites, so I'm assuming that this is not all that uncommon. I dont fit very well under the dash of this car, and stripping the entire wiring harness seems a little excessive. As I have found, the multi function works fine, as does the flasher unit. Is there better way to narrow down the "suspects"?
I cant provide answers based on wires being jumped and crisscrossed. You need to assemble all back together correct and pick the easist fix. Work on the brake lights since its a simple circuit. The brake switch powers the wires and the signal goes to the flasher and to the fuse box and then to the lights. As previoulsy stated the M switch is a common fault as well as wire faults. Since the flasher is new then go ahead and rule it out.