Bob
Bob, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  23 years experience on Fords, ASE Master Tech, electrical and driveability specialist.
11265011

2005 Ford Taurus: hard starting..It cranks..tach..guages

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Ford Taurus that has developed a hard starting problem. It cranks over fine and when it does finally start, I can hear a faint ticking sound and the tach and temp and fuel guages don't work. Then, at the exact same time that the ticking sound stops, the guages start working. This usually takes about 5 to 10 seconds after the engine starts. Sometimes, the engine starts right up. Other times, it might take two or three tries to get it to start. Last night, I couldn't get it to start at all and had to drive another vehicle. After we got home, about three hours later, it started. It doesn't seem to matter if it is hot or cold. This is my wife's car and she keeps it full of fuel. She has had this intermittent problem for 6 or 8 weeks. For her, it has never failed to eventually start but, she is worried she will get stranded somewhere.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

It sounds like you may have two issues here, the first is the hard start problem. Ford has a pcm update out that addresses 2005 taurus hard start concerns, I think some of them were under a recall., but I would have to check your VIN to verify that.

Second have you had the battery tested, Onyour ford's if the instrument cluster looses voltage then the cluster will perform a reset mode, that may bbe why your guages are acting up.

Please remeber to click ACCEPT and leave positive feedback so I may receive credit for helping you. Thank you for using JUST ANSWER.

Bob, Ford Senior Master
Experience: 23 years experience on Fords, ASE Master Tech, electrical and driveability specialist.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had the battery tested. It appears that our problem has been solved by installing a new battery. The old one tested bad. After I installed the new one, the car starts up first try and the tach and guages immediately respond. Thanks for the help. We will call the dealership and check on the PCM update.
Expert:  Bob replied 5 years ago.
Customer

When you go to the dealer just tell them you just want the pcm updated. They will probably try to sell you diag, which cost around $100 dollars. I recommend you decline and just get pcm updated this procedure should run between $80 and $100 dollars.

Thank's Bob