Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  23 years Dealership experience, Ford Senior Master Technician since 2000, ASE Master since 1985

02 lincoln blackwood: switches..key console

Customer Question

'02 lincoln blackwood - locked out of bed...cannot raise cover with console switches or key fobs. Valet switch in center console has no effect.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 8 years ago.

There is a way to open the cover manually. I am sorry I did not get it to you sooner.

I hope this helps you. If so, please ACCEPT this answer. I will be glad to help further if needed.

To open the cover Manually:

If an electrical or battery failure

happens, your vehicle is equipped

with a manual release lever that can

open the tonneau cover.

1. To open, locate the manual

release lever under the right front

corner of the pickup box.

2. Using the ignition key, unlock the

cover and pull the lever down to

manually open the tonneau cover.

3. Push the tonneau cover up for

access to the pickup box.

4. To close, push the tonneau cover

down on the pickup box until it

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt reply...I am aware of the manual release funtion, and cargo retrieval is not an issue - I am troubleshooting why the automatic function no longer works. All other electical systems are in working order and according to the fuse location diagram, I pulled, tested, and reinstalled the identified 29 if my memory is correct.
Expert:  Tim replied 8 years ago.

I guess I misunderstood your question. Here are some possible causes of the failure.

Normal Operation

The tonneau cover switch sends a ground signal to the tonneau cover module through circuits 1628 (WH/RD) to open and 1629 (PK/LG) /1631 (PK) to close. The tonneau cover module then checks these inputs for these conditions:

• cargo door ajar switches, circuit 1351 (TN) and circuit 1630 (BN/YE) indicate the doors are closed.
  • pinch strip circuit 1626 (LG/RD) is not active.
  • vehicle is in PARK or NEUTRAL.
  • VSS circuit 679 (GY/BK) indicates the vehicle is not moving.

The tonneau cover module will then apply power and ground to the appropriate tonneau cover motor circuits and tonneau cover motor clutch circuits. The tonneau cover module then checks input from the tonneau cover sense circuits, 1617 (WH/LG) and circuit 1618 (WH/BK) to verify the motor is operating in the correct direction and to detect obstacles.

Possible Causes

• tonneau cover control switch circuits 1628 (WH/RD), 1629 (PK/LG) and 1631 (PK) open or shorted to ground
  • left tonneau cover motor circuits 1600 (TN/RD), 1602 (WH/OG), 1609 (LG/YE), 1610 (WH/LB) 1615 (WH/YE), 1616 (OG/LG), 1617 (WH/LG) and 1618 (WH/BK) open, short to ground or short to voltage
  • right tonneau cover motor circuits 1599 (TN/LB), 1601 (WH/PK), 1607 (PK/LG) and 1608 (OG/LB) open, short to ground or short to voltage
  • circuit 679 (GY/BK) open, short to ground or short to voltage
  • circuit 1626 (LG/RD) open, short to ground or short to voltage
  • circuit 1627 (BK/OG) open
  • circuit 1598 (RD) open
  • tonneau cover switches
  • tonneau cover motors
  • tonneau cover module
  • tonneau cover pinch switches
  • tonneau cover lock out switch

There is a lengthy pinpoint test associated with the failure. It does somewhat require the use of a scan tool capable of communicating with the module.

I can give you a basic wiring diagram or the pinpoint test if you would like.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks, Tim. Wow, obviously more than I care to dig into myself. I'll accept your answer and thank you for your time.

Expert:  Tim replied 8 years ago.

You are very welcome. Thank you.