chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

where can I find a fuse manual for my E250 cargo van. The

Customer Question

where can I find a fuse manual for my E250 cargo van. The tail light fuses appear to not be working and I know it isn't burned out bulbs. It's the whole electrical system for the back lights. They work intermittently.
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Hi there

Need some info ----What year E250 do you have ???,,,, and what rear tail lamps are inop,,,the brake lamps,,the turn signal lamps, the back up lamps,, the parking lamps??????-------and if they work intermittently , then its probly not a fuse

we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

oops, its a 2001 van.

Not working: turn signals, fourway flashers, lower brake lights. Headlights and backup lights and roof break light are working. All the problem seems to be in the rear of the vehicle with the exception of the light on the top of the van for break and the white back-up lights

Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

OK --

Sounds like you may have a bad turn signal switch ,, or the wireing to it is loose ----try this -----when the rear turn signals are not working ,,turn the van on and put a turn signal on ,,,, and when the rear turn signal is not working ,,slowly tilt the steering wheel all the way up and all the way down and if the rear turn signal start to work ,,,then we have a loose conection on the turn signal switch -----you can do the same test for the brake lamps too

if this test shows nothing ,,, then we have to do some testing on the turn signal switch with a test lamp or a volt meter ---do you have one of these ???----in not you can pick up a cheap test lamp at Wallmart for under $5---

so tell me if you find anything on that tilt test ,,,and if you have a volt meter or test lamp

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

the stearing wheel doesn't tilt or if it does, I can't find how to make it tilt. any suggestions?

Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Do you have a volt meter or a test lamp ????

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am looking for it. I do have one. what do you want me to test?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what setting do you want the volt meter set to?
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

ok ---set the volt meter on DC volts --and try it on the vans battery to make sure it works,,,you should get 12.5 volts ,,, we have to gain access to the turn signal switch ,,,this is good because its probly the bad part anyway ----

first the ignition tumbler has to be removed,,,put the key in and turn it to the run position ( the position right before crank ) then on the bottom of the lower steering column bezel there is a small hole --use a pick and put it in that hole and push up ,,,this will release the ignition tumbler and it will slide out

graphic

now you can remove the three screws from the lower steering column bezel and remove the upper bezel

graphic

now you have access to the turn signal switch ,,, remove its two bolts that hold it in place ---and now we can test the wires on the back for the stop lamps---with the switch still plugged in ---power from the stop lamp switch go to the turn signal switch on the LIGHT GREEN wire ,,,so with the brake pedal pushed down ,,make sure you have power on this wire ----if you do then the brake lamp signal comes out of the switch for the rear brake lamps on the LIGH GREEN / ORANGE wire and the ORANGE / LIGHT BLUE wire ---so both of these wires should have power when you are steeping on the brake pedal,,, if they do not ,,,then the turn signal switch is bad

graphic

tell me what you find

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok. Got everything off. The turn signal, flashers, etc--none of them are working You can hear that it is shorting out somewhere in the column. I bought a new turn signal arm and installed it. It isnt working either. Now I'm checking the small fuse panel and the larger one under the hood. Any suggestions??
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Do you have brake lamps now that you replaced the switch ---and the turn signial do not work ???

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The top break light only has one bulb working. Both of the bottom break lights are working. The turn signals are still not working. could it be a relay possibly? the wiring harness wires look good. I don't have a diagram for the relay to know which it could be. I don't have the diagrams for under the dash fuse panel or for the main fuse panel in the main fuse compartment.
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

OK- so it looks like you replaced the brake lamps , with the replacement of the turn signal switch --- now the turn signals ,, there is two fuses for the turn signals and flashers ,,,they are fuse 7 and 11----check these fuses with the key on ,,,both should have power ---- if they are ok ,, check the wireing to the turn signal switch and make sure none of the wires are backing out of the two connectors to the switch ---if there ok ,,,then you probly need a new flasher relay ---

graphic

its a black relay located left of the steering column ---this is what you probly hearing , making that noise

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Chris,

Is there any way we can make this now a phone call? I know it will cost me the 30.00 plus the 9 originally for an urgent request and I really don't care. I can't seem to find the source of the fuse problem and I don't have the funds to take it to my mechanic. I really have appreciated your help thus far and would like to continue. I already deposited the funds for the urgent request.

Nancy

Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

You just have to pay the $9 ,,, and if you really like my help you can give out a bonus ----so this could just cost you the $9 ,,,,, or nothing at all --

Just Answer rules ,,can not give out phone numbers -sorry

did you test the two fuses ,,,and then test the two wires to the turn signal switch ,,,, did you find the turn signal flasher I told you about ?????????????

Chris

chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I will pay the 9 dollars of course. I was asking if I could give you the phone number for here and you could contact me. That is what I thought the 30.00 urgent consult was all about--being able to talk with someone. Am I wrong???

I couldnt read the numbers on the diagram that you pointed out so I havent located them to check them. The wiring harnesses are very confusing to me. Perhaps you can help me find which one by where it should originate or by color? I appreciate your help

Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

graphic

ok check fuse number 7 and 11 and make sure they are not burnt out

if they are good then on the top conector to the turn signal switch there is a wire that is LIGHT GREN with a RED stripe ----this wire is the power wire for the hazards,,,,it should have power 12.5 volts, then when you turn on the hazards the WHITE with a RED stripe wire should have power 12.5 volts,,, this power comes out of the turn signal switch and to the turn signal flasher ,,, then it comes out of the flasher on the LIGHT BLUE wire ,,,so this should have 12.5 volts ----if it does not then the flasher is bad and needs to be replaced ----

so you can access the turn signal switch upper conector ,,,,turn on the hazards and you only have to test two wires for power ---the WHITE with a RED stripe and the LIGHT BLUE wire ----if the LIGHT BLUE wire does not have power ,,replace the flasher

graphic

tell me what you find

Chris