Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

i ask you before on the code pO102 MAF sensor and engine keeps

Customer Question

i ask you before on the code pO102 MAF sensor and engine keeps bogging no power. I cahange the sesor three times but the same problem. But i am looking to see if you agree. When i shut the key and turn on ( on and off ) five times the problem goes away and i can drive all over the place but when i shut it off and restart the problem comes back. All i have to do now is off and on with the key about five times and start the engine and i am good. Now the question is that i would think it is the PCM because what i am doing with the key is recycle the computer. What do you think ?
Category: Ford
Expert:  goldenruleser replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer
You state you have ask before about code pO102what type of problem are you were you trying to solve? Please provide as much information you can. You VIN # XXXXX be of help also please read the VIN carefully for me so I may help you better.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the problem is code PO102 MAF sensor , check eng light is on . that would not bother me but the engine has no power and sounds like it is bogging out to stall. But if i shut the truck off and on about five times or more then i have no problem and the problem goes away but the code of course is still there. But keep in mind if i shut it off once and start it it will still have no power, I have to off an on several times . I check for vac leaks by spraying the shit out of all the vac hoses and intake manifold. I was told it could be the PCM because when i shut off and on several times , I am recyclng the computer. But I am lucky i have the same truck , year make and model and same engine so i swap the computers and i still have the same problem . so that elimimates that.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It feels like it is sucking in air through the vac hoses or somewhere but i srayed the area and found nothing. I canged the maf three times because i thought it was a bad MAF but the last one came from ford parts dept and i still have the same problem. The ford guy came outside and looked at my calibration sticker to make sure he gave me the right one
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
of course it could be a problem with the throttle position sensor but i would think the code would come up
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am taken it in to ford on Tuesday because once i give it to them then i dont have to keep wasteing money on trail and errors but of course i dealt with ford repair before on a computer problem and tell ma they are no experts
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i am reading and it states that it could be the throttle position sensor or a sticky IAC
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
but i wonder why the code dont come in
HiCustomer
I have a customer with the same exact same vehicle as yours. I am sure I can work you though this problem. I would appericate a bonus if I can solve your problem. Please tell me do you have a scanner of your own to work with for code access?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have a scanner but not a pro one. It reads codes and it does PID
The Maf has 0.00. I had it check by my mechanic and he states that the MAF is reading a low voltage with his snapon scanner and everything points to the MAf but he was wrong
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no vac leaks , i change the maf three times. the reson for the third time because ford told me the numbers off the maf that i was getting was the wrong one but the one i bought from ford did not work etheir
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i just like to know if the TP sensor could be my problem with sending an error code for it
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
without sending the error code for the TP sensor
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I checked on the website alldatadiy.com and looked up the code PO102.. it tells you to check voltage, air leaks around the maf also vac leaks. But also it does mention the throttle position sensor
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswers,

This is a different expert and I think I should step in to assist you. The code P0102 in most cases isnt a bad MAF sensor. It is in most cases the connection to the power source or loss of power to it so lets start here.

Both Red wires come from the same source, which is the Electronic Engine Control (EEC) power relay. trace the Red wire for a poor connection. It comes out of the EEC power relay, which is in the engine compartment fuse box, runs to a splice in the harness below the fuse box, then splits off into 8 Red wires, one of which feeds the MAF sensor.

If the poor connection cannot be located, another option would be to splice into the Red wire at the IAC, and run a new wire to the MAF sensor

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
in this case i believe in but the only problem that got me was that when then engine decided to run ok , i played and pulled on the wires and the engine did not change to run bad. I would think that if there was a short somewhere then i can do a wiggle test , to see if i can cause the problem. Or even when the engine is running poorly ( bogging out ) no power , then i would wiggle the wires and i mean pull on them like they would break but nothing changes. I decided to stop playing around and took it to two ford mechanic guys to see their opinion and yes they did tell me the same thing. that they belive there is a short somewhere. They are checking it out now
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the scanner states incorrect voltage to MAF
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i took to many hours on checking for leaks , changing the MAF three times . I even swap the PCM with another same truck. you spend time and time and it probally becomes a short. The whole thing began strang that it all started when i changed the fuel pump and had to drop the fuel tank. For a while i thought it was the fuel and time testing the fuel pressure.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the short i thought about also and i think that it could be the problem . I placed a 12 volt tester on the pin hole of the connector that plugs into the MAF and it does have power going into it. Unless if you know of more than one pin hole should light up because only one pin hole has power
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.

Recheck the test I sent you and see what you or your mechanic find.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its to late but it is not you. I got fed up with it and gave it to the ford people. I needed the truck by Monday and had no more time to get involve but if i went to check each wire by hand and trace each one , i would of found the wire that was hanging by two strands from the maf sensor plug and the PCM , a couple of pins needed cleaning.
Which was my next thought but i did not want to go any further. I needed the truck by Monday because one of my driver were using my 2007 truck and i wanted my own back.... anyway thanks for your help because after i gave up , you came in with the problem of checking the wiring from the EEC to the MAF which that was the problem ,,, thanks anyway
Expert:  Ron replied 6 years ago.
Your very welcome as the code P0102 in most case is a wiring issue. Thank you as well.