Jerry, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic with over 30 years experience with N.Y.P.D. fleet service division

1996 Ford Explorer: the parking brake spent..trick

Customer Question

What is the sequence for reinstalling the parking brake shoes on a 1996 Ford Explorer. I've spent 7 hours trying to figure it out. There has to be a "trick" ...    Al
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 years ago.

Hi, I am sending the parking brake shoe replacement Instructions for your truck. I know it is tight working behind the axle flange,it f you cant seem to get your hands in to replace the shoe,you may find it easier to remove the axle . This will require pulling the differential cover and taking the pin out to remove the C washers that hold the axle. I hope this will help you to get he brakes done,thanks Jerry.

Only the Mountaineer and 1995-99 Explorer models use separate parking brake shoes.

See Figure 1

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Exploded view of the rear disc brake parking brake shoe assembly

1. Remove the rear disc brake rotor.
  2. Remove the outboard return spring.
  3. Remove the adjusting screw spring.
  4. Remove the rear brake shoe hold-down spring and pin.
  5. Remove the brake shoe adjusting screw and nut.
  6. Remove the front brake shoe hold-down spring and pin.
  7. Remove both parking brake shoes and the inboard return spring.
  8. Check the parking brake lever for excessive wear and replace as necessary.

To install:

1. Position the front parking brake shoe to the backing plate and install the hold-down pin and spring.
  2. Install the rear parking brake shoe with the inboard return spring.
  3. Position the brake shoe adjuster screw and nut on the shoes and install the rear shoe hold-down pin and spring.
  4. Install the brake shoe adjuster spring.
  5. Install the outboard return spring.
  6. Adjust the parking brake shoes and install the rotor, caliper and wheel.
  7. Lower the vehicle and tighten the wheel lug nuts to 100 ft. lbs. (135 Nm).

See Figures 2 and 3

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: Measure the inside of the drum portion of the rear brake rotor

1. Remove the rear disc brake rotor.
  2. Using Brake Adjustment Gauge D81L-1103-A or equivalent, measure the inside diameter of the drum portion of the rear disc brake rotor.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: Subtract 0.020 in. (0.508mm) from the first measurement, adjust the brake shoes to that size

1. Adjust the parking brake adjuster screw until the outside diameter of the parking brake shoes measures 0.020 in. (0.508mm) less than the drum measurement.
  2. Install the rear disc brake rotor.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks. I finally removed the axle and had the assembly back together in less than fifteen minutes. Great minds do work to the same answer.... Al
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 years ago.
Hi Al, glad to hear you got the brakes done. Sometimes a second opinion helps. If you feel the information I sent helped you, please don't forget to accept, positive feed back is also greatly appreciated,Thank you,Jerry.