chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience

how do i replace the AC/ Clutch pulley on a 2001 Taurus 3.0

Customer Question

how do i replace the AC/ Clutch pulley on a 2001 Taurus 3.0 DOHC?
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Hi there

More than likely your clutch and pulley are bad due to the front seal on the a/c compressor when bad and put oil on them ,,, this burnt up both parts -----so what you really need is a complete a/c compressor ,,that comes with a clutch , pulley and field --- either way to replace just the clutch pulley and field the compressor has to come out ---so if you are going to replace just the clutch pulley and field then you might as well replace the hole thing because your new clutch and pulley are going to burn up too====

to remove the a/c compressor ,, you have to remove the belt----to do this you can just lift up on the belt between the highest pulley on the engine ---you can put it on the same way----- then the passenger side cooling fan has to be removed---unplug it and take its harness out of the way ,,,there is one 8 mm bolt that holds the cooling fan in place ,,,remove the bolt and pop off the cooling fan resistor right above it ,,,then you can slid the cooling fan up and out --next you have to remove all the freon from the system, if you cant do that ,,, then just remove the 10 mm bolt on the back of the a/c compressor that hold the a/c hoses to the compressor and let it leak out ,,,,then take the bolt all the way out -------the compressor is held to the engine by four 10 mm bolt ,,,,two on the top and two on the bottom ,,,,remove the two on the bottom first ,,, then remove the two on the top -----then un plug the compressor conector ---now the compressor is loose from the engine ------now the hard part -----how to get it out of there ---- get under the car and remove the one nut that holds the r/f engine mount to the sub frame ,,,, do not remove it all the way ,,,put it back on its stud just one turn -------then take a floor jack and put it under the oil pan and slowly jack up the engine ,,,until that nut on the engine mount bottoms out --------now there is enough room between the front of the engine to pull the a/c compressor up , pulley first and sqweaz it out -----

if you are not going to do this on your own ,,, then a new or reman complete a/c compressor can cost between $250 and $450 ,,,so shop around ---and the labor to install it is between $400 and $500 ---

so if your up to it you can save $400 doing this on your own ---and then have a shop service the a/c system when your done --this is like $60 ----

any more info on this just ask , we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Hi there

If you need more info on this ,,just ask

if not then please hit the accept button

Thanks,,,Chris