Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  23 years Dealership experience, Ford Senior Master Technician since 2000, ASE Master since 1985
12316582

i need help installing a 2001 ford crown victoria, valve cover gasket

hi i need help installing a 2001 ford crown victoria, valve cover gasket
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.
Customer

Which side? Or both? I will be glad to help with a little more information.

thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the passenger side by the blower assembly
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.
Customer

Here is the workshop manual procedure. I hope this helps, if you need more information I would be glad to help. As I am sure you have found out, it is not too easy.

Thanks,

Tim

1. Drain the engine cooling system.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle.
  3. Disconnect the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor electrical connector.
  4. Disconnect the A/C compressor electrical connector.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Disconnect the A/C cycling switch connector.
  7. Disconnect the fuel lines.
  8. Disconnect the ignition coils electrical connectors.
  9. Disconnect the fuel injector electrical connectors.
  10. Remove the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) tube and position out of the way.
  11. Disconnect the electrical connector.

graphic

1. Remove the evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge valve.
  2. Reposition the hold-down clamp and remove the hose from the bypass tube.graphic
  3. NOTE: The valve cover harness retaining studs positions 2 and 3 retain the fuel charging wiring.

4. Disconnect the harness from the valve cover and position out of the way.

graphic

1. Remove the LH engine mount. Lower the engine.
  2. Remove the studs, the bolts and the valve cover.
  3. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what do L H stands for Left high engine mount, or it that some thing alse. and how many bolts are there to removing the engine mount.
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.
Customer

Yes, that is the LH engine mount. There are only 6 bolts (3 on the block and 3 on the frame. The oil level tube may have to be removed to access it. You will need to support the engine somehow to do it also.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
oh ok so it on the oil dip stick side. Can a car jack be used to raised the engine so that i can remove the mounts.
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.

Enels,

Yes, the drivers side engine mount needs to come out. If you are careful you could use a jack on the engine. I would use a piece of wood or rubber to cushion the pressure on the pan. When you remove the Drivers side mount the engine will tilt down on that side giving you clearance to remove the valve cover.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok imma try it and get back to you while im in the process
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.
Customer

Ok, good luck with it.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
s far i removed 3 bolts from the frame, and one from the engine, the one thats on top of the other bolt. but im having a tuff time removing the one in the back towards the transmission. Is there a way to do it. or do i need a breaker bar, or an air ratchet, or an impact gun to remove that pesty bolt on that angle.
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.
Customer

It has been a while since I have done one of those. I am not sure of the best way to get to it. I can check into a little more tomorrow. I would say "however you can" is the best way.

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yea i understand,please do check, cuz i wraped it up for the night, so i'll start up again tomorrow morning.
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.
Customer

I will check, good luck with it.

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
quick question, i was wondering is it possible just to remove the thru bolts and just remove the bottom half of the motor mound
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.
Customer

I think you could get the valve cover out with just moving it that much. The clearance does vary a little from car to car. I would sure try it, it would make it easier to not fight the bolts on the block. I did not find an easy way to get to them.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
im having a some problems
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.
Customer

OK, what kind of problems?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My engine is making a loud knocking sound,which it has never done before
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.
Customer

Did you get the valve cover off? What repair did you perform? Was it making the noise before you took the valve cover off?

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hey tim wats up, i solved the problem, i disconnected the first fuel injector andd the nose went away. How heres another problem, when i went for alil test ride read my check engine light. I received 10 codes which 8 were ignition coils, one was maf p0102 and p0201 injector #1 circut malfunction. The car shakes crazy, and it sounds like my foot is on the gas pedal when it idle, and when i shift gears the car jumps into speed with no accelation.and it surges crazy around 30 miles per hour and doesnt switch gears, like it stays in first.
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.
Customer

First doulble check all of your connections, make sure they are all tight and in the right place. Check the connector on the throttle body and the injector for the 102 and 201 codes. Make sure the air inlet is all sealed, all clamps tight and the air cleaner lid on tight. Then disconnect the battery and touch the negative cable to the positive post to clear the codes. Then road test again.

Thanks

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, ill do it in the morning and let you know. but i dont have to replace the coils or rearrange them.
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.
Customer

The coils are interchangeable between cylinders. To identify if it is a defective coil we change it with another one and see if the code follows the coil.

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
oh i see, so wats the importance of the coil, with a rubber pad on it that says do not remove.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Tim, I tried it and now the car won't start.
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.
Customer

I am not sure what you are talking about with rubber boot and "do not remove". The coils for each cylinder should look like this:

graphic

Is there something aftermarket installed perhaps?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no it looks like a regular coil and around the top, theres like a sponge insulator, that say do not remove. but i got the car started, i changed to idle control valve and the tps sensor, swaped maf and pcv valve, changed the egr gasket, new fuel filter and changed the first fuel injector, that set off a check engine light. now i have no check engine light, but the car rattles while at idle and while driving. and when you accelerate, and deccelerate, you can hear a clunk, comin from the rear passenger side.
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.

Enels,

Is the rattle like pinging or lifters? Was this car sitting for a long time without running? For the clunk, I would suggest checking the U-joints, wheel bearings, brake caliper mounting or other loose components.

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no the rattling is more like a misfire, at idle and while driving.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
im also getting this rotten egg odor too, while its misfiring during both processes. the car feels like it wants to cut off when i stop at the light, so i have to throw it on neutral just to have it idle to keep it form dying.
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.
Customer

You will need to perform Key On Engine Off self test and Key On Engine Running self tests to see what codes you are getting. Also monitoring O2S1,O2S2,SFT1, SFT2, LFT1 and LFT2 too see if it is running lean or Rich and possibly isolate to one side of the engine. Did all of these issues start after removing the valve cover or is this something you have been trying to repair?

Thanks,

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no it started aftering doing the valve cover gasket, installing a new heater pipe to the water pump, also while adding new motorcraft spark plugs.
Expert:  Tim replied 6 years ago.
Customer

Have you retested the EEC system to see what codes you are getting? Do you have a way to monitor the sensors? It is possible that you may have dislodged a cam follower on that head. That would account for the noise and the miss.

Tim

Tim, Ford Technician
Experience: 23 years Dealership experience, Ford Senior Master Technician since 2000, ASE Master since 1985
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>i went to my local autozone, and used there scanner, and i received no codes, or anything.i doubt i disloged a com follower, i did everything percise and gently. if i gaped my spark plugs to 55 or 56. would that cause a problem because the sticker under the hood said .56 is the max. plus im using motorcraft agsf-32pm versus the awsf-32p thats the version that my local auto store had, the say it wouldnt be a problem.</p>