Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.

1998 Ford Escort: The transmission will not shift automatically and it

Customer Question

My girlfriend has a 1998 Ford Escort. The transmission will not shift automatically and it will only shift from low to drive. Will not go into over drive. When I read the codes. There were five codes. 1. Cam Position sensor malfunction. 2. Speed Sensor Malfunction 3. Shift Solenoid A malfunction, 4. Shift Solenoid B malfunction, 5. Transmission Temp High Input. I replaced both cam and speed sensors. Also when I checked the transmission fluid level, the level was about 3 to 4 inches up from the tip of the dip stick. Not sure where its supposed to be because there is no level mark. I cleared the codes and now only get the solenoid and temp codes and the transmission still dont shift properly. What else causes these codes and what else can I do to fix the problem.

Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for visiting Just Answer. I will do my very best to help you resolve your concerns by asking questions if needed then suppling a answer. Gaining your TRUST in myself and knowledge is my goal. I try my hardest to respond in a timely matter and I will respond to any reply anytime I am on line.

I need to know the actual code #'s to help you solve this?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had them written down but she has the car. Give me a minute to see if I still got the note with the codes
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

P0500- Speed Sensor

P0713- Trans Fluid Temp Sensor Circuit High Input

P0340- Cam Censor

P0750- Shift Solnoid A

P0755 Shift Solenoid B

Does the speedometer work correct?

The cam and speed sensor issues have been corrected, correct?

Can you explain any odd shifting you have noticed from the trans while driving?

Was the trans fluid a tinted color other than bright red, did it have an odor?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The speedomeeter was not working correctly but once I change the two sensors it has been. The is three gears, well I think there is. It has a low, a drive and overdrive which to me would be automatic. If I start out in Overdrive, it will not shift at all. If I put it in low, I can manually shift in drive or 2nd, but when shift into overdrive it seems as though its still in drive (2nd) The RPMS rap out about 4000 at 55MPH. The fluid did seem a little tinted but the odor appeared to be the normal transmission odor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
still here

You have a F4E-III trans which has 4 forward gears. The codes you have mean this

0713 means the TFT sensor thinks the trans is at negative 40 degress which will greatly alter shift feel and engagement. You need to start by replaceing this sensor which is integral to the transmission harness attached to hte valve body.

0750 and 0755 are shift solenoid circuit failures. The solenoids are only sold as part of the valve body. So your looking at needing a new internal wire harness and valve body without diagnosing with ford equipment and teardown to view the trans for internal concerns.

Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will accept your answer. But will like to know do you know approximate cost of a internal wireharness and valve body. I am by no means a transmission expert but fairly knowledgible with mechanics. Is this something you think I can do on my own or should be only done by professionals.
You will need to buy a inch pound torque wrench. remember this if you do something wrong then you could cause more extensive failure costing you a complete trans. Parts are going to be near 700$
Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Chris

One more question about this if you will. Can the 0713 cause the other codes

Not directly. The TFT code is a code meaning an open circuit so this means it is a fualty sensor or a wire harness issue. The harness does howeber feed all the solenoids and the TFT sensor.

graphicgraphicgraphic