chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

2005 Ford escape: The compressor..air conditioning..air conditioner

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Ford escape, the two 40 amp fan fuses (22 and 24)keep blowing. The compressor seems fine (I took to an air conditioning mechanic) and is blowing cold air (until the fuses blow) after the fuse blows the fans stop working and I omly get cold air while the car is moving. Before the fan stopped working all together It was stuck in the always on even after the air conditioner was turned off. Also I replaced the fan because it was making alot of noise (bearings?) the new fan seems fine. What do you think is blowing the fuses?
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Hi there

Both of these fuses are for the cooling fan system , and when the power for these fuses are used they go to the cooling fan motors and nothing else , so if the cooling fans are new then you must have a short in the harness from the engine compartment fuse box to the cooling fan motors ----or are you putting to low of a fuse in the fuse box ,,they are both 50 amp fuses ?????? if you are useing to low of a fuse ,they will burn the fuse up.

graphic

if you are putting the proper fuses in ,,,then you must check the harness going from the fans to the engine fuse box ...

we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Chris,

The owner manual calls for 40A fuses for both. I noticed several relays and diodes in the schematic, could one or more of these cause the problem?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Chris, I had a follow-up question "see post" do I need to add more money?
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

no - dont add more money ----------I would put two 50 amp fuses in it and see what happens ,,, the cooling fans draw a lot of amps and putting a 40 amp in it would probely blow the fuse --- I work at a Ford dealer and the Ford manual shows both to be 50 amp and the all data also shows both to be 50 amp ------its a cheap shot in the dark --- but this ware I would start .....if it still blows the fuses ,,,then i would start to look for a short in the that harness from the fuse box to the fans

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks a bunch
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

If you need more help on this ,,,just drop me a line on this same page ---and we will go from there

Thanks ,,,,Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I replaced the 40A with the 50A it is working so far. But the fan doesn't go off when I turn the air conditioning off (the engine is cold so the cooling fan for the radiator shouldn't be on). When I turn the engine off the fan doesn't come back on. I also noticed that a A/C di0de is missing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Yes there should be a a/c diode in place

graphic

graphic

Chris