FMT2282, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician,ASE Master Technician, State Smog License and 23 years in the field

1998 ford windstar: my gas gauge is stuck over full tank..sending unit

Customer Question

i have a 1998 ford windstar and my gas gauge is stuck over full tank, it has something to do with the sending unit, i just wanted to know how i would fix that myself??
Category: Ford
Expert:  FMT2282 replied 8 years ago.
Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to help you figure this out. In order to replace the sending unit,you will need to drop the fuel tank down.There are two straps that wrap around the tank,you will have to remove the securing bolts.Be sure to have a floor jack under the tank to take the weight.It makes it easier to manage.Disconnect the filler neck and the other hoses.You will need a fuel line release tool to take off the pressure and return lines.You will also need to unplug the electrical connectors.The ring on top of the tank twists to the left to remove and then you can take the fuel pump delivery module out. If you order the sender from your local dealer,the sender will look just like the original unit.You will have to remove one screw and undo two wires.Replace the sender and the gasket. Then reinstall the complete fuel pump.Be careful to keep the gasket in place.If it slips the tank will leak fuel and the check engine light will come on.You can use silicone dielectric to lubricate the seal so it will slide.This is not a hard repair to do,you will need to have an assistant and it is easier to perform the repair when the tank is close to empty. Reinstall it in reverse order.Hope this helps,let me know if you need anything else,Thanks,Chuck.