FMT2282, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Technician,ASE Master Technician, State Smog License and 23 years in the field

How do I install a water pump in a 2002 Ford Focus It is a

Customer Question

How do I install a water pump in a 2002 Ford Focus? It is a 2.0L Zetec-E Engine. There doesn't appear to be enough room to get the old one out. Can I get some directions please?
Category: Ford
Expert:  FMT2282 replied 8 years ago.

Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to help you with this.Looks can be deceiving,this can actually be done if you follow these steps.

First you need to disconnect the negative cable.Next, pull the lower hose and drain it into a bucket or find the radiator petcock and do the same. The petcock just takes a little longer.Next reach down and loosen the water pump pulley bolts.Then using your belt tool,remove the drive belt.Now you can remove the bolts that you loosened in the W/P pulley. Now remove the 4 pump mounting bolts. Rotate the pump 180 degrees in the block,this will make it possible to remove.

When you put it back in,make sure the seal stays put.

Now the coolant you use depends on the production date. If it is built before 6/2002 you use green coolant. 6/2002 and after, you use the motorcraft premium gold.

After you replace the pump you need to refill it. The fastest way to get the air out of the cooling system is to remove the heater hose at the connection to the head. Pour coolant into the degas bottle until it starts to trickle out the heater connection at the block. Install the heater hose and fill the bottle to the line. Run the engine and make sure you have heat from the heater and the cooling fans turn on and off.You need to make sure you keep the mix around 50/50, water to coolant.

Hope this helps and makes it easier to visualize. It's not hard,just time consuming. If you need anything else, drop me a line, Chuck.

Hope this helps