Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

Hello, My 2004 Ford Explorer XLT wont start. Seems to have

Customer Question

Hello, My 2004 Ford Explorer XLT won't start. Seems to have plent of power. The anit-theft red light blinks, but when I turn the key to start it, it goes to a steady red. There's no clicking sound when I trun the ket - just dead. I can roll down and up the power windows, etc. The lights do not go dim when turning the key. Suggestions? Thanks, Ed
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
The problem is likely the starter but some testing should be done to verify this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

When you say "some testing should be done", to what type of testing are you referring? Do you mean to do some "trouble shooting?"

For example, I have attempted to jump start the SUV, but it still acts like there's no connection from the ingnition to the starter. I've also checked the post and connection, they are clean and have good contact.

Acts like a fuse is blown, or something....

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Daryl,

I'm not trying to get a free answer, but before I accept your offer to answer, I would like a little more info. If you wil respond to my question regarding the type of testing to which you are referring, I can make a decision as to whether I should accept your answer. If you meant I need to take it to a dealer or automotive shop for testing, I don't need that type of answer - that's something I can figure out on my own.

Thanks, Ed

Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Well the testing that I would start with would be to see if the starter has power going to it when trying to start the engine, if it does then the starter is bad if there is not power going to the starter then the starter relay and ignition switch would need to be checked to see if it is sending power and receiving power.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Daryl,

Thank you for the reply. What you have just told me is that I need to take the SUV to a repair shop. I'm not capable of conducting that type of testing.

I'm sorry for taking up your time.

Regards,

Ed

Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Well my time was not wasted if you accept my answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Your answer was not helpful. The auto shop said the starter is fine, the ignition switch is fine. The problem? It was the computer chip in the key. Somehow, it went bad.

I don't think that your answer justifies acceptance.

Expert:  Daryl replied 5 years ago.
Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you were able to do some testing I could have lead you to that problem and you need to start some ware.