Bob, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  23 years experience on Fords, ASE Master Tech, electrical and driveability specialist.

2003 ford explorer: v..engine stalls..slowing..No engine warning light

Customer Question

2003 ford explorer v-8, engine stalls when slowing and/or to stop. No engine warning light, no 'service engine light' appears. This presents a very dangerous situation when slowing before making a turn. Problem doesn't present itself when diagnostics are run by my mechanic. HELP !
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.

Hi Sobelle,

I have to admit 2003 Explorer's had there share of problems. As for your stalling problem, I would recommend replacing the IAC and having your throttle body desludged. I would also recommend getting your pcm updated Ford has come out with better software that addresses some driveability issues. These are usually the steps I take first when I come across a situation like yours.

Please remember to click ACCEPT and leave positive feedback so I may receive credit for helping you. Thank You for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I will have my mechanic check out your suggestions. If the problem persists, then do I have to pay another $15.00 to come back and ask the same question?

Also, with so many of the 2003 Explorers having the same problems (engine, transmission, rear end) WHY hasn't Ford issued a recall? Seems that you just continue issuing 'technical bulletins'. The shop who did my transmission does all Ford Explorer transmissions for the Terryville (CT) and Bristol (CT) police department Explorers. If the police departments can't rely on the Explorers, how can the general public?

Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.

No you won't have to pay again, just use the link from your email if you have any other questions concernig stalling.

As for recall's I don't know why ford hasn't issued any recall on 2003 explorer's. We did do alot of rears and continued to do them into 2005 Explorer's. The engine's we didn't has too many problem's with, and on the transmission's we did have some problems with servo's and bands.

I hope my recommendations help you out. If you need anything feel free to ask.

Thank's Bob

Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.

One more thing I recommend, is to always buy extended warranty. I even buy it on my Ford's, car or trucks today are so expensive and hard to fix. One transmission or rear problem and that warranty pays for itself.

Thank's Bob