Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic

I have a P1405 code after a check engine light came on . Discription

I have a P1405 code after a check engine light came on . Discription of code is diff press upstream hose to the EGR valve is either cloged or disconected. Not sure of location of up stream hose Ford explorer 1999 4.0

The actual problem is likely the DPFE sensor (differential pressure feedback egr sensor) it is a very common problem on these but you may also end up replacing the hoses going to it, there are two hoses going to the sensor the one that hooks to the exhaust and is closest to the engine is considered the up stream. This sensor is located on the drivers side of the engine a little towards the back and has two small hoses going to it and a electrical plug, pic below of sensor there are a few different types but they are similar.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you very much,

I will try and see if this fixes my problem.

Ok, good luck and thank you