Brian, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  5 years Ford Technical Hotline/Service Engineer. 2005 Ford Master Cert. Automotive Technology degree

have 94 ford escort gt. cannot get the fuel pump relay to pick

have 94 ford escort gt. cannot get the fuel pump relay to pick up when ign in the on position. disconnected fuel pump jumped fuel pump pin on diagnostic plug to grnd on diagnostic plug, turned ign on and relay picks up. Not sure what that tells me need help
Category: Ford
Expert:  Brian replied 8 years ago.
There is a switch inside the air flow meter that closes when the flap starts to open. This switch provides a ground to the fuel pump relay. So try pushing the flap open a bit to see if the fuel pump comes on when you turn the key.

In order for this to work, the air flow meter has to have a good switch in it, and the ground wire to the meter has to be good. Ground G103 is located on the firewall as shown below (see the red circled G103):

Make sure that the ground G103 is making a good tight clean connection to the body metal. You can unbolt it, wire brush it to bare metal or use sandpaper, and then re-bolt it to ensure a good connection. Then rustproof it with some paint, sealer, or grease.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I pushed the shutter open with the ignition on and the fuel pump kicked on. I'm unsure what that tells me. The pump will not pick up normally (without pushing shutter).