Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2001 Windstar: code P0305 showing (misfire in cyl.5)..tune..rotor

Customer Question

HI, I have a 2001 Windstar, 3.8L, with code P0305 showing (misfire in cyl.5). It has chugged a bit when it's damp or raining and it did it tonight and turned up the code. Would this be a plug wire, and if I do a tune-up, is it a distributor cap and rotor I need to replace or is it a pack?
Category: Ford
Expert:  lamontgomery replied 8 years ago.
How many miles do you have? It only acts up when it is wet outside?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
HI. It has 155,000 kilometers on it (about 95,000 miles, I guess off the top of my head). And yes, it's only doing this when it's raining or damp.
Spark plug wires are original? Do you have freeze frame data for P0305?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I believe the spark plug wires were replaced once (the old guy that had this van drove it highway alot) but I could be wrong, they may be original. I don't have the freezeframe data. I bought it 10 months ago with a 1 year powertrain warranty, and although I wouldn't imagine that a plug wire (if that is the problem) would be covered but it's worth a shot. If it isn't the plug wire but rathr something more serious, it might be fixed under that warranty, but I like to arm myself with possibilities before I head to any dealer for repairs.
Can you see numbers printed on the spark plug wires? You should be able to access the wires to the LH side of the motor 4, 5 and 6.