Glenn
Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience:  28 years experience, Interprovincially Licenced Motor Vehicle Mechanic and Instructor

i have 1997 ford explorer ,check engine light on , obdi 2 code p0446

i replaced egr,valve asy,sensor asy,.tow hoses, new gas cap from ford, rest code ,drove twice 80, code comes back.?any ideaplease.thanks.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

I'd like to try to help you with this. I'll need a little information first in order to more clearly understand what the problem is.

Is this truck a 4x4

There are 3 engine options.. .check the 8th character of the VIN for me please. Is it an E, X or P?

Your answers to my questions will allow me to try to identify the correct approach to be taken to try to solve your problem. Please try to provide answers to all my questions if you can. If you don't understand anything I have said please ask me to explain further.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2wd ,engine x
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is a ford explorer vin#1fmdu32x0vza11421
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for waiting.

Yes, I'm still here. I juggle the phone and the pc, sorry for the delay.

You now have my full attention.

Thank you for transmitting the vin number.

I am researching your problem right now. I will get back to you within the next 10 minutes or so. Thanks for your patience.

Glenn McNally.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are you going to email or should we just check on this site every lttle while?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok great thanks.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

I have finished researching this issue and am typing a response.

Thanks for your patience.

Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello again.

Ok, I'll assume you are using an OBD2 generic code reader ? The fault code you indicated is P0446; this is a Ford Continuous (or history) fault code.

97 Ford's have a diagnostic sequence called "quick test". On this generation of Ford, called EEC5, the test is completed as follows

1/ gather CONTINUOUS codes (you have done that)

2/ run KEY ON ENGINE OFF SELF TEST and gather codes.

3/ IF TEST 2 PASSED, run KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING SELF TEST and gather codes.

You cannot do this in OBD2 mode. You'll need a scan tool that can run the Ford tests. There are lots of testers available to do this; repair shops and parts stores can do this for you as well.

The code you produced is indicating a fault in the EVAPORATIVE EMISSIONS SYSTEM. What part of the country is this vehicle driven in ? Dry, dusty ? Lots of spiders?

During testing done while you have driven the car, the EEC5 system has identified a problem in the part of your fuel system that traps fuel vapours from excaping. This system is typically referred to as an EVAP system. During testing, the system has identifed a problem where the vent on the system that is designed to allow fresh air in to purge a cannister that is storing fuel vapours has plugged up.

I'm going to attach two document here and then continue.

graphic

number 1 in this picture is the electrical connector for the EVAP VENT SOLENOID. #2 is the cannister.

The first thing I would do is disconnect the connector (1) and then remove the solenoid from the cannister. You will probably have to pull the cannister down to do this.

You will likely have to lower the spare tire to gain access to this . It is under the car.

Once you have disconnected the solenoid and removed it (you have to squeeze the clip holding the solenoid to the cannister to release it ) I want you to try to blow through it. It must be clear. If it is clear, completely disconnect the cannister and try to blow through it. It may be clogged. Email me back and tell me how you make out.

Here is the pinpoint test from the service manual ...

graphic

I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok -2 things i do not understand,1- self testing mode! with what scanner ? i have obd 2 autoscanner!

2- the canster where is located ? i will remove the spare tir!.thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the car was in oklohoma, now in texas.
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Ok, dust is an issue.

You'll probably find the cannister full of dust. If it's plugged, new one needed. Blow out the solenoid. If the solenoid has a hose attached to it running to a remote vent, blow through that too and make sure it's not clogged.

Let me know if you have any further questions on this.

When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

oops, sorry, I missed those other questions.

Here's what you asked:

graphic

The cannister is located on top of this panel. You will see this once you remove the spare. The illustration shows you where the fasteners are.

Make sure to block the wheels and properly support the truck if you decide to jack it up.

(have to say that..)

I'll send you another message in a few minutes with the other answers. I 've got to look up your tester and study its features.

Glenn

Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

I called SPX (they are the manufacturer of your tester) and I'm still on hold...

I checked the website and from what I can see your tester will not perform the enhanced Ford tests. Let's now worry about that for now, I think we'll be ok with what we've found so far.

Touch base with me after you've checked that cannister and solenoid.

Hey, be careful when you blow into the cannister to check it. Use a rubber hose or something to connect to it. If it's full of dust and you blow into it, you might get a facefull of dust. !!!

Glenn.

Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Hello again.

Ok, just got off the phone with SPX tech support at

Toll Free:(NNN) NNN-NNNN(8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST, Monday - Friday)

Their website link is http://www.actron.com/product_category.php?id=249

Your tester does not support the enhanced testing on Ford. You will need to find a person with another scantool to do that testing.

We'll stay the course for now and see how you make out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i did take it out and blew in cannister and solenid ,put it all back together, now what ?do i clear code s and drive it another 50 miles to see if codes comes back?
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Was anything plugged ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just some dust that's all when i blew from one end it came out from the other!
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Ok, we haven't found the problem yet.

Was there a hose attached to the solenoid?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there was no hose attached!
Expert:  Glenn replied 5 years ago.

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Well, that's not good. We should have been able to find a reason for that code .

Was there a lot of dust in there ?

Dust + Rain = mud.

That might have caused the vent to plug up. If you've blown it clear, maybe the best approach will be to clear codes and run it for awhile. You will need a couple of days of cold starting and some roadtesting for the obd2 monitors to complete again. If the code doesn't come back, great.

So, I'll reinterate what I tried to explain before. This system checks the function of its parts by applying a vacuum signal into the evap system. If everything is ok, the vacuum should not be able to build. The solenoid and cannister you blew out should allow air in to prevent vacuum from building up in the tank. It goes on to do other tests , but I'll leave that for now.

If it does come back , well......

With the equipment you have at your disposal, we are going to run into trouble. You should really run the KEY ON ENGINE OFF and the ENGINE RUNNING SELF TESTS.

There is a pressure sensor on the fuel tank that determines tank pressure. If you had an Enhanced Ford scantool we could test that. It'll be pretty hard to test without that.

Hook up your scanner and see if it shows FUEL TANK PRESSURE sensor in the data list. If it does, get me the value displayed. It should be around 2.3- 2.7 volts with the gas tank open to atmosphere. The voltage drops when vacuum is applied to the system. If the voltage goes low at the wrong time, you get the P0446.

This could also be caused by a bad tank pressure sensor or wiring.

You'll see that this is on the list of suspects on the pinpoint test I sent you earlier today. You may wish to print that chart out and go over it to see if you can see anything else out of place.

Know anyone that's got one of these scantools? Do you deal with a repair shop ? A snapon or otc scanner would do it.

If you have a notebook pc, you might want to look at this one. You would need the basic obd2 plus the enhanced Ford kit.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/order.html

I'm not trying to sell you anything...I'm just making you aware of options.

Sorry for the delay in the replies. It takes a bit of time for me to put these replies together.

Glenn, Technician/Trainer
Experience: 28 years experience, Interprovincially Licenced Motor Vehicle Mechanic and Instructor