ttiger79
ttiger79, Auto mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Advanced Level Engine Performance

1995 F-150: the universal joints inside the front axle..wheel drive

How do I replace the universal joints inside the front axle of aXXXXX1995 F-150?
Category: Ford
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 5 years ago.
Hi!
Here's the listed for removing the front axles:

graphic

graphic

REMOVAL

1. Raise the vehicle and install safety stands under the radius arm brackets.
2. Remove the wheels and tires.
3. On vehicles equipped with 4-wheel anti-lock brakes, remove the front brake anti-lock sensor from the steering knuckle.
CAUTIONS:

* After removal, the front disc brake caliper must be wired to the frame or otherwise supported to prevent suspending the front disc brake caliper by the flexible hose.
* If securing the front disc brake caliper is not practical, disconnect the brake hose from the front disc brake caliper. Plug the hose end to prevent fluid loss and entry of air into the system.
* Upon installation of the front disc brake caliper, bleed the brake system.

4. Remove the front disc brake caliper.
5. Remove hub locks, wheel bearings, and lock nuts.
6. Remove the front disc brake hub and rotor (1102) and front wheel bearing outer cone and roller (1216) from the front wheel spindle.

graphic

graphic
7. Remove the nuts retaining the front wheel spindle to the steering knuckle. Tap the front wheel spindle with a nylon or rawhide hammer to jar the front wheel spindle from the knuckle. Remove the front disc brake rotor shield (2K004).

graphic

8. On the left side of the vehicle remove the shaft and joint assembly by pulling the assembly out of the carrier.
9. On the right side of the carrier, remove and discard the keystone clamp from the shaft and joint assembly and the stub shaft.

graphic

With the axles out, you will need a u-joint press to press the old one out and install the new one. Remove the 4 clips that hold the end caps of the u-joint in place, and press the u-joint out. Assemble in reverse order.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

ttiger79, Auto mechanic
Experience: ASE Master Certified, Advanced Level Engine Performance
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I need to pull the whole front axle to replace the u joints?
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 5 years ago.
No. You don't have to pull the entire axle, just the shafts that fit into the axle.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is the largest wrench and socket that I will need ? Besides the u joint press, what will I need for tools?
Expert:  ttiger79 replied 5 years ago.
Besides the u-joint puller, you will need a basic metric socket set- probably up to 18mm. You will also need a hub tool for disassembling the automatic 4wd hub. Here's what the tool looks like:
graphic

It fits into the center of the hub to unthread the auto hub from the steering knuckle. This tool should be available at almost any auto parts store.