Ray M.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience:  30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech
11409661

FORD: 6.0 DIESEL..WONT START..A HOT RESTART WILL START AFTER COOL

2006 6.0 DIESEL FORD WONT START ON A HOT RESTART WILL START AFTER COOL DOWN. HAS NEW ICP, IPR,AND FUEL RELAY. WE ARE LOOKING FOR A FUEL INJECTION PUMP SOLENOID, UNABLE TO LOCATE THE COMPONENT? ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 years ago.
Customer/p>

What you are experiencing is a common problem with the later 6.0l engines,there is a quick connect fitting from the high pressure oil pump the oil rail feed tubes,this connector fails and will blow apart and cause a no start condition. They will sometimes start after cool down whe the oil gets thick enough to build pressure and overcome the leak. Ford has a repair kit to correct this problem. If your unit has under 100,000 mi

it should still be covered under warranty.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
we are aware of this bulletin, but this truck starts every time it cools down. Not sometimes as you said in your answer. We just want to be sure before we go there. Our truck has 169042 miles on it (ambulance). Joe
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 years ago.
I am 100% sure that is your problem,I would get it in and have it repaired right away,if not,the fitting will keep flexing and will eventually crack the branch tubes,if that happens the engine will have to be removed to replace them.These fittings will come apart just enough to create a no start hot but will allow enough ICP pressure to build when cold to start.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, we have the vehicle and we will call ford to see if they have the parts. Do you by any chance have the breakdown on how to get to this fitting? If not we will see if ford or alldata has the information. Joe
Expert:  Ray M. replied 6 years ago.
get to it is quite a chore on and E series,Here is the Ford shop manual prosedure
SECTION 303-04C: Fuel Charging and Controls - 6.0L Diesel2006 E-Series Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATIONProcedure revision date: 02/15/2006

Oil Pump Printable View (471 KB)

Special Tool(s)
Dial Indicator Gauge with Holding Fixture
100-002 (TOOL-4201-C)
Disconnect Tool, Quick-Release Coupling
303-755
Socket, Injector Pressure Regulator (NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>

Material
ItemSpecification
RTV Silicone Sealant
TA-31
-
SAE 15W-40 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil
XO-15W40-QSD (US); CXO-15W40-LSD12 (Canada); or equivalent
WSS-M2C171-E

Removal

1. Remove the turbocharger pedestal. For additional information, refer to Section 303-04D.
  1. Position back the heat insulating wrap and disconnect the fuel injection pressure regulator (IPR) valve electrical connector.
  1. Using the special tool, remove the IPR valve.
  1. NOTE: Use care when removing the pump cover. The 3 bolts remaining in the pump cover under the EGR cooler can fall out of the pump cover and into the engine under the high-pressure pump.

Remove or loosen the bolts as needed.
  1. CAUTION: To prevent engine damage, do not pry off the high-pressure pump cover off the pump or damage to the cover can occur.

Use a thin gasket scraper to separate the cover from the crankcase at the rear cover seam.
  1. Position the special tool and check the oil pump drive gear backlash.
  1. Loosen the bolts on the high-pressure tube assembly.
  1. Remove the bolts and the high-pressure oil pump.
  1. Remove and discard the lower O-ring seals.
  1. Using the special tool, disconnect and remove the high-pressure tube assembly.
  1. Remove and discard the high-pressure oil pump O-ring seal.

Installation

1. CAUTION: To prevent engine damage, use only an approved pump cover seal. Substitution could cause damage to the pump cover.

Install a new O-ring seal on the high-pressure oil pump.
  1. Install the high-pressure tube assembly.
  1. Install new lower O-ring seals.
  1. Install the high-pressure pump and the 3 bolts.
    • To install, tighten to 31 Nm (23 lb-ft).
  1. Tighten the 2 high-pressure tube assembly bolts.
    • To install, tighten to 11 Nm (8 lb-ft).
  1. Install a new press-in-place gasket in the high-pressure pump cover.
  1. Clean the cover mounting surface and apply sealer at the seams.
  1. CAUTION: To prevent engine damage, the high-pressure oil pump cover must be firmly seated on the O-ring seal to prevent cracking the cover plate.

NOTE: Use care when installing the high-pressure pump cover with fasteners. The 3 bolts in the cover could fall out of the cover and fall down in the engine under the high-pressure pump.

NOTE: Apply clean engine oil to the high-pressure oil pump O-ring seal prior to installing the high-pressure pump cover.

Install the high-pressure oil pump cover and the remaining bolts.
  1. Using the special tool, install the IPR valve.
    • To install, tighten to 50 Nm (37 lb-ft).
  1. Connect the IPR valve electrical connector and position back the heat insulating wrap.
  1. Install the turbocharger. For additional information, refer to Section 303-04D.

ord shop manual procedure.
Ray M., Ford Master Tech
Experience: 30+ years in trade, Ford Master Tech, Journeyman Automotive Tech