Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.

How do you change spark plugs in a 1999 ford ranger (8 plugs

Customer Question

How do you change spark plugs in a 1999 ford ranger (8 plugs 2 per cylinder)? Looks like 4 plugs in 2 boxes
Category: Ford
Expert:  Rmldaytona replied 8 years ago.

Yes, this vehicle has 8 spark plugs. 4 on the intake side and 4 on the exhaust. This was to cure the engine's carbon habit.

The 4 plugs on the exhaust side are quite easy.

The 4 on the intake side are a pain in the butt!!!

Tools... a spark plug socket with a rubber insert. This keeps the sparkplug in the socket.

A swievel. An extention. And a ratchet. All 3/8 drive.

Now, if you use a bright light... you will see that under the intake are spark plug wires. These wires should have plastic hooks on the boots. These hooks are used to pull on to remove them off the sparkplug.

Then use the ratchet, extention, swievel, and spark plug socket to remove the spark plugs one at a time. Install new ones. Use only a double platinum motorcraft or autolite plug. Carefully screw the new one in. Do not cross thread them. They should thread mostly in by hand, then use the ratchet to tighten them down.

The one next to the firewall is a real fighter as it is the toughest to access.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The plugs are nowhere near the fire wall they are up towards the front of the engine. I have a spark plug socket but it will not fit down in those holes.

I did buy the autolite plugs you have described I just need to get them out. Is there anyway to send you a picture of what I have so you have a better idea of what I am talking about?

The firewall side plugs I was referring to are the ones toward the rear of the vehicle on the engine cylinder head.

I assume you have removed the intake air tubing?

Now, you can get the sparkplug socket using your hand and arm under the intake to place it on the sparkplug. Then, you can attach the socket to the extention through the small spaces between intake ports.

I appoligize, I have no pictures of help on this matter.