Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

Passenger side front end makes loud popping sound when turning

Customer Question

Passenger side front end makes loud popping sound when turning or hitting large bumps (slow speed) steering wheel is not inline with tires by 15 degrees to the left. I lifted the front end and removed both tires everything looks the same from side to side. There is no back and forth play to indicate wheel bearings. Any suggestions would be nice.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris, a current Ford Lincoln Mercury employee.

Thanks for visiting Just Answer. I will do my very best to help you resolve your concerns by asking questions if needed then suppling a answer. Gaining your TRUST in myself and knowledge is my goal. I try my hardest to respond in a timely matter and I will respond to any reply anytime I am on line.

You need to raise up the front end ( this must be done with a jack and it has to be on the lower control arm as close to the tire as possible) and get the tires about 1 inch off the ground. Now hold the upper and lower ball joints while picking up the tire via a pry bar. This will check for ball joint fatigue.

Now inspect the stabilizer bar end links for bushing damage.

Now have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth with the engine off and the key on to see if there are any concerns felt in any of the steering linkage joints before or aft the steering gear.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX don't mind but I can't start checking the things you mentioned until this Friday 9/5/08. I will try the 3 things you have mentioned and let you know Friday evening. Its ok if you can't get back to me right then. again thanks for the help.
Thats fine. Just reply then if needed and I will respond when Im online
Did you find any faults this evening?