chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII: The AC/Heat system..Message Center..signals

I have a 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII. The AC/Heat system is not functioning correctly. My local Lincoln dealer tested the system and said he got a Code 155, telling him the Message Center / Monitor was not putting out any signals. Without the signal he could not test the rest of the system, charged $95.00 and said Ford no longer makes the Message Center and that I should sell the car. Need help with resolvong this problem. Does the Message Center control the AC/Heat System? If it does where is a possible source for the Center if Ford has discontinued the part?
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

Hi there

Here is all the codes you can get out of the a/c control head

NGS DTCEATCDescriptionDTC caused byAction to Take
Self-Test Faults(Intermittent) Run-Time Faults
B1249024022Blend Door Short
025Blend Door FailureEATCGO to DTC B1249.
B1251031N/AA/C In-Car Temperature Sensor Open CircuitEATCGO to DTC B1251.
B1253030N/AA/C In-Car Temperature Sensor Short to GroundEATCGO to DTC B1253.
B1255041043A/C Ambient Temperature Sensor Open CircuitEATCGO to DTC B1255.
B1257040042A/C Ambient Temperature Sensor Short to GroundEATCGO to DTC B1257.
B1261050052A/C Solar Radiation Sensor Circuit Short to GroundEATCGO to DTC B1261.
U1041N/A125SCP Invalid or Missing Data for Function Read Vehicle SpeedPCMRefer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual.
U1073N/A115SCP Invalid or Missing Data for Engine CoolantPCMRefer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual.
U1222N/A135SCP Invalid or Missing Data for Interior LampsSCILGO to Section 417-02 , Inspection and Verification to continue diagnosis.
U1235N/A155SCP Invalid or Missing Data for DisplaysMCInvalid code, do not service

the code you are talking about I have never seen before and should not effect the a/c .So lets see if there is any other other codes in the system -you can do this on your own .Try this and see what codes you get ---start the car up and turn the a/c on and do this test

• The self-test can be initiated at any time with any resulting DTCs displayed. Normal operation of the system stops when the self-test is activated.
  • To enter the self-test, press the OFF and FLOOR buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTOMATIC button within two seconds. The display will show a pulse tracer going around the center of the display window. The test may run as long as 30 seconds.
  • To exit self-test and retain DTCs, push the blue (cooler) button. The control will exit self-test, retain all diagnostic trouble codes and then turn OFF (display blank).
  • To exit self-test and clear all diagnostic trouble codes, press the DEFROST button. The vacuum fluorescent display window will show 888 and all function symbols for one second. Then, the EATC control assembly will turn OFF (display blank) and all DTCs will be cleared
  •  

tell me what codes you come up with

Chris

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Chris,

I tried the self-test and received an Intermittent Run-Time Faults Code 155 in the dispaly. Per the codes listed on the attached sheet it is a NGS DTC U1235, DTC caused by MC - Invalid Code, do not service. Not sure what all this means but it appears to come back to the Message Center.

Is there a source for the Message Center?

Expert:  chris replied 6 years ago.

The code is just stating that it can not communicate with the message center -- the a/c system does not need the message center to work ,, it just gives the message center info ,,, the message center does not give the a/c system info ---that why it states do not service --its a problem with the message center and it does not effect the a/c ---- I think you just have a basic a/c system problem ,, like low on freon ,, or cooling fan problem -- basic stuff --- the tech may have seen this code and stopped all diag and never check your pressures in the a/c system , or if your freon level was ok, I would get a second opinion on this problem ---and if it pans out to be a basic a/c problem , like a leak ,, then you can get your money back from the other diag ---- or if you want to take a look for your self ,,, look under the hood and start at the a/c compressor and look for a leak ,, if there was if leak it would look oily and wet ,, then work your way down the a/c lines for wetness---- to me this just sounds like a low freon problem --when you have a low freon problem the a/c compressor will cycle fast ,,, on for 5-10 seconds then off then back on for 5-10 seconds then off ----with a full charge the a/c compressor would stay on longer , like 60 seconds then off

Chris

chris, Ford Mechanic
    Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience