lamontgomery
lamontgomery, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  14 years experience, 2000-2006 Senior Master, ASE master in Truck and Auto, Level 1 Fire mechanic
10921119

1999 Ford F250: 000 miles..the Service Engine Soon light comes on

I have a 1999 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab V10 with 125,000 miles. Sometimes it starts and want start. It will run good then bog down and die after the Service Engine Soon light comes on. I have had a new tune up, spark plugs, wires, computer,fuel filter and fuel pump put on it. And it still will not run. I just got it back last Thursday after having the Fuel Pump put on it. And it will not run.
Category: Ford
Expert:  lamontgomery replied 5 years ago.
Your truck will not start? Or is it stalling intermittently? Do you hear a popping noise in the radio when it is warming up? Does the ABS light come on as well?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a tapping noise in the dash when i start it up. Yes the Service Engine Soon light comes on. The ABS light does come sometimes also. The temp gauge does go back and forth before the Service Engine Soon light comes on.
When you had it tuned up, did you have any ignition coils replaced?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are them the things on the spark plugs? Or what are Spark Plug Coils?.
Yes, they are sitting on top of the spark plugs. You have a direct igntion system on your truck. 10 ignition coils for 10 spark plugs. Did you have any of them replaced?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes i think they did change the Coils. He showed me them.
They replaced all of them with new ones?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes all 10 new ones. That is why the tune up was $380.00
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are the spark plug coils the round cover over the spark plugs with the wire on top? If so yes i just went and looked at them. They did change them.

They probably did not replace all the coils because they cost between $50- $80 a piece, not including the spark plugs. You'll need to have the remaining coil on plugs (COP) tested. When they start to fail, they generate radio frequency interference that becomes induced into the wire harness of your truck. The different circuits of the wire harness sees this electrical noise and causes the engine computer (and other computers) to act up. There is a service bulletin from Ford to stress test each COP using the Ford WDS or IDS. The problem on your truck is very common on other Ford products using a COP ignition system.

TSB
05-22-8
  • WDS COP KIT DIAGNOSTIC TIPS - COIL ON PLUG (COP) IGNITION SYSTEMS - ENGINE MISFIRE OR ROUGH RUNNING
Publication Date: October 21, 2005

FORD:1996-1999 Taurus SHO
1998-2006 Crown Victoria, Mustang
2000 Taurus
2002-2005 Thunderbird
2003-2006 Focus
2004-2006 Taurus
2005-2006 Five Hundred, Freestyle
1997-2006 E-Series, Expedition, F-150
1999-2006 F-Super Duty
2000-2005 Excursion, F-53
2001-2006 Escape
2002-2005 Explorer
2005-2006 Escape Hybrid
LINCOLN:1997-1998 Mark VIII
1998-2002 Continental
1998-2006 Town Car
2000-2006 LS
1998-2006 Navigator
2002-2003 Blackwood
2003-2005 Aviator
MERCURY:1998-2006 Grand Marquis
2000 Sable
2004-2005 Sable
2005-2006 Montego
2002-2005 Mountaineer
2005-2006 Mariner
2006 Mariner Hybrid

This article supersedes TSB 04-16-01 to update the vehicle applications and model years.

NOTE:FOLLOW THIS TSB PROCEDURE ONLY IF THERE ARE NO SPECIFIC MISFIRE TSBs/SSMs RELEASED FOR THE VEHICLE SYMPTOM BEING EXPERIENCED.

ISSUE:

Approximately 50% of coil on plug (COP) coils returned for warranty do not have a problem.

ACTION:

The misfiring cylinder must be identified through Self-Test misfire codes or through WDS Power Balance. Rule out base engine problems, rule out fuel problems, and then look at ignition problems (be sure to rule out coil primary circuit issues). Once the above steps have been completed, and the issue is in the secondary part of the ignition system, the oscilloscope procedure outlined in this TSB can isolate the difference between a coil or spark plug problem.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

The optional WDS COP Kit available through Rotunda will provide more accurate diagnosis and help reduce replacement of non-defective parts. The Kit (418-FS528) can be purchased through 1-800-ROTUNDA.

The following material will detail the diagnostic steps on WDS to take the guesswork out of misfire diagnosis using the COP Kit. The following procedure is for cylinder specific misfires and not random misfires. Random misfires have a different root cause and are not covered by this TSB.

Misfire Definition: A misfiring cylinder is lacking power relative to the other cylinders. The causes for a cylinder specific misfire could be fuel, spark, or mechanical problems.

Perform a thorough visual inspection. If no visible concerns are found use the following WDS tools for misfire diagnosis:

• Self-test (Check for codes first)
  • Power Balance (Identify the cylinder of concern)
  • Relative Compression (Rule out a possible mechanical issue)
  • Fuel (Make sure fuel injectors are not restricted)
  • Ignition (Make sure spark plugs and coils are working properly)
  • Oscilloscope (Detailed signal analysis)

NOTE:USE THE ENCYCLOPEDIA BUTTON IN THE LOWER LEFT CORNER OF THE SCREEN FOR DETAILED INFORMATION ON THE WDS TOOL BEING DISPLAYED.

If there is a self-test code identifying a particular cylinder then you just need to determine if it is a fuel, ignition, or possibly a mechanical problem. Proceed to Step 2 after running Relative Compression to rule out any mechanical issues. If there is no self-test code and the customer concern is a miss, proceed to Step 1.

Step 1: (Select Toolbox Icon, then Powertrain, then Power Balance)

The cylinder specific miss has to be identified as shown in the example in Figure 2 in order to proceed with the remaining steps. If the miss does not occur at idle (in the bay), try to brake torque the engine. This extra loading should reproduce the miss in the bay. If the miss cannot be reproduced during brake torque, select Relative Compression under Powertrain on WDS before going on a road test to rule out mechanical problems. If Relative Compression shows a problem then the base engine issue must be serviced. If Relative Compression results are good (Figure 3), road test under as many different driving conditions as possible until the miss occurs on Power Balance. Some misses may be very intermittent so be patient and concentrate on steady load conditions. Once a cylinder dropout is identified proceed to Step 2.

Step 2: (Select Toolbox Icon, then Powertrain, then Fuel System Test)

Run Fuel System Test on WDS to determine if there may be a fuel problem. After completing fuel Pressure/Leakdown test, select Injector flow to isolate a restricted injector as shown in Figure 4. If all the injectors are within specification, proceed to Step 3.

Step 3: (Select Toolbox Icon, then Powertrain, then Ignition System Test)

Run Ignition System Test on WDS to determine if there is an ignition problem. Look at both duration (DUR) and kilovolts (KV) and look for values that standout from the rest as shown in Figure 5 and Figure 6.

NOTE:LIVE DISPLAY HAS TO AVERAGE IGNITION VALUES BECAUSE THERE IS TOO MUCH DATA TO DISPLAY. MAKE A CAPTURE TO VIEW EACH ENGINE EVENT WITHOUT AVERAGING. THIS CAN BE HELPFUL WHEN THE PROBLEM IS INTERMITTENT. IF THE MISS IS EXTREMELY INTERMITTENT AND DOES NOT SHOW UP IN IGNITION, PROCEED TO STEP 4.

If either spark duration or peak KV on the Red Probe (Suspect Cylinder) are offset from the values displayed on the Black Probe (Known Good Cylinder) then the problem is in the ignition system. Rule out coil primary circuit issues before proceeding to coil secondary issues such as the spark plug, coil boot, or possibly the coil. Use the WDS Oscilloscope with the COP kit to determine if the issue is the coil or the spark plug.

Step 4: (Select Toolbox, then Oscilloscope)

graphic

lamontgomery, Ford Mechanic
Experience: 14 years experience, 2000-2006 Senior Master, ASE master in Truck and Auto, Level 1 Fire mechanic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok i will print this out and take it to the mechanic. Thank you for all the help. Mike Dunn

No problem, I was skeptical when I first saw this TSB, but it fixed allot of weird problems I had. Especially on Lincoln LS's.

Thanks again,

Loy

Here is the rest of the service bulletin, it shows the diffrent displays and tests on the Ford WDS/ IDS.

graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic