mustangmike, Ford Technician

2003 Ford Explorer: Im hearing a clicking noise from then

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer and I'm hearing a clicking noise from then behind the dash once I start the vehicle. Any idea what that might be?

does it change tone or stop when you change the temp. setting on the heat or ac controls.

this noise could be caused by the blend door actuator being stuck.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, it does not change tones, nor does stop when I change the ac or heat controls. The sound, I think is coming from behind the radio or in that area. I can't seem to find a pattern to it. It made the noise all day yesteraday and once today and not since this morning.

that sounds like the blend door actuator, especially since it is right behind the radio.

if you can pull the radio out, you can unplug the actuator to see if the noise stops.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is this somthing I could fix? what does it look like? Thank you in advance for your help!

do you have the dual electronic automatic climate control?

if you have manual climate control, or if the noise is coming from the left side under the dash... the dash board will have to be removed.

but if it has dual climate control and the noise is coming from the right side of the dash you can switch that one fairly easy.

1. Remove the floor door vacuum control motor.
  2. Remove the parts in the order indicated in the following illustration and table.

ItemPart NumberDescription
1 19C603 RH temperature blend door actuator electrical connector
2 W701696 RH temperature blend door actuator screw (3 req'd)
3 19E616 RH temperature blend door actuator

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No I do not have dual climate control. that being the case I wll have to remove the whole dash board, correct? It hard to tell which side, I think the left. Is there two blend door actuators in there?

there is only one blend door actuator on the left side under the dash for the non-dual ac system, and the manual says to remove the dash to replace it.