AlvinC
AlvinC, Ford Technician
Experience:  With Ford 20+years as Dealership Technician Ford Senior Master Technician Gas and Diesel
10384837

2006 Ford F-350 Dual rear wheel.4 wheel drive engages but front

2006 Ford F-350 Dual rear wheel.4 wheel drive engages but front end don't engage. I unpluged the vacuum lines (1at the time) from the front hubs with the 4X4 switch engaged. I could not feel any vacuum at the end of the hose. A/C seems to be working fine. Manually locking hubs the 4X4 works. I can't seem to find any kinks in vacuum lines. Any sugestions as to what the problem could be?
CustomerWhat engine do have?, Al

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The engine is 6.0 power stroke
Customer Does you heater a/c blower blow on defrost only?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no it works fine
Customer The vacuum pump is common for failing, but when it does your blower will default to defrost since it is working properly you must have a vacuum leak at or to the hubs. You will need a vacuum gauge to check the sytem. This a vacuum pulse lock system. Here is a description of it's operation. If you can get a vacuum gauge and let me know and we will find your cause, Al

Pulse Vacuum Hublocks

The electronic shift-on-the-fly (ESOF) system has a feature which allows the driver to override the vacuum-operated hublocks. When the front hublock dials are manually turned to the LOCK position, the hublocks are locked through the dial at all times, regardless of the position of the instrument panel mode select switch (MSS).

When the front hublock dials are manually turned to the AUTO position, the hublocks use an internal spring-locking mechanism that is vacuum-operated by the ESOF system, and are locked with the MSS in the 4H or 4L position and unlocked with the MSS in 2H position. Refer to Hublock in this section for additional AUTO hublock system operation.

Hublock Operation

With the hublocks in the AUTO position, the 4X4 ESOF system uses timed vacuum sequences to lock and unlock the wheel ends when switching the instrument panel MSS between 2WD and 4X4 modes. A high vacuum level (222 mm [8.75 in] Hg and greater) is applied to the hublocks to lock the internal spring mechanism that engages (locks) the hublocks for 4X4 mode, and a lower vacuum level (114 to 184 mm [5.9 to 7.1 in] Hg) is applied to unlock the spring mechanism that disengages (unlocks) the hublocks for 2WD mode. The vacuum signals are supplied to the hublocks by system components, including the 4X4 control module, wiring harness, solenoid, vacuum harness and vacuum seals. As a first step in service, eliminate obvious items such as loose wiring connections, loose vacuum connections or damaged vacuum lines.

Hublock Engagement/Disengagement Time

With the hublock dials in the AUTO position, switching the instrument panel MSS to 4X4 HIGH or 4X4 LOW results in the high vacuum level being applied to the hublocks, which lasts for at least 51 seconds (including a venting cycle). The hublocks should engage during this time through the spring mechanism. Switching the MSS to 4x2 less than 51 seconds after the MSS has been switched to 4X4 HIGH or 4X4 LOW will not interrupt the high vacuum level; instead, the lower vacuum level will be applied after the high vacuum level cycle is completed.

With the hublock dials in the AUTO position, switching the MSS to 2WD results in the lower vacuum level being applied to the hublocks, which lasts for about 15 seconds. However, the actual time required for the hublocks to disengage by spring force can vary considerably due to the effects of driveline wind-up. Road bumps, vehicle speed, acceleration cycles or momentary reversal of direction can assist this process. Switching the MSS to 4X4 HIGH or 4X4 LOW always overrides the lower vacuum level cycle and results in an immediate high vacuum level and in locking of the hublocks.

Manual Override

The AUTO hublocks have a manual override selector dial, which, when turned to the LOCK position, will keep the hublocks locked (through the dial) at all times, regardless of the position of the instrument panel MSS. (Always set both hublock dials to the same position.) If the hublock dials are manually turned from the AUTO to the LOCK position, and the high vacuum level is applied to the hublocks (by switching the MSS from 2WD to 4X4 HIGH or 4X4 LOW), the hublocks will be locked through the dial as well as through the internal spring mechanism. In this case, turning the hublock dials back to the AUTO position will leave the hublocks in (spring) locked mode until the lower vacuum level is applied to the hublocks (by switching the MSS from 4X4 or 4X4 LOW to the 4x2). (This is not an issue if the hublock dials have been in the AUTO position and the MSS has been switched from 4X4 HIGH or 4X4 LOW to 2WD at least once.) Alternatively, the hublock mechanism can be reset to free mode at any time by turning the hublock dial from AUTO to LOCK to AUTO at least 2 times.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX get a vacuum gauge and check the vacuum at the hubs. How do I get back intuch with you?
Customer Just come back to JA your question will stay open for 24 hours, and if I don't hear from you in that time I will reply to you. Thanks, Al
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Okay thans agian.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hello AlvinC;

I checked the vacuum at the hubs, there is no movement in the gauge. Now while checking it the A/C went to defrost only then went back to working normaly, servral times. I also checked the fuses, no problem there.

Customer Make sure the engine is running when you check vacuum at the hubs. If you are loosing vacuum to the a/c and it goes to defrost you probably have a bad vacuum pump. Here is The TSB for the vacuum pump and installation instruction, Al

Click here for TSB

Click here for instructions

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi AlvinC;

Just got in from work. Thanks for your help and for the instructions, I beleve this should fix the problem. Thanks Again.

Customer Glad to help. If this is not your issue let me know, Al
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hello AlvinC;

The vacuum pump is running till what seems to be a cut off switch cuts it off. (I unhooked and rehooked it several times) The vacuum canaseter seems to mantain vacuum for a long time so I don't think there is a leak. With the engine off you can turn the switch on the dash and here what sounds like the hubs lock in. But thay don't. I gess I'll take it to the Ford dealer Tuesday. Thank You,Customer