lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
9493671

how to remove front wheel drive stub axle

Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer this is lostrider are you removing the drivers side front axle?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.
have you got the brake rotor and hub removed yet, or do you need instruction for that also
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes on right side with right axle removed

Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.

Dana 44 And 50 Front Axle Assemblies (Exploded View)
graphic

REMOVAL

1. Raise the vehicle and install safety stands.
  2. Remove the wheels and tires.
  3. On vehicles equipped with 4-wheel anti-lock brakes, remove the front brake anti-lock sensor from the steering knuckle.
CAUTIONS:
  • After removal, the front disc brake caliper must be wired to the frame or otherwise supported to prevent suspending the front disc brake caliper by the flexible hose.
  • If securing the front disc brake caliper is not practical, disconnect the brake hose from the front disc brake caliper. Plug the hose end to prevent fluid loss and entry of air into the system.
  • Upon installation of the front disc brake caliper, bleed the brake system.
  1. Remove the front disc brake caliper, please refer to Brakes and Traction Control/Disc Brake System/Brake Caliper/Service and Repair/
  2. Remove hub locks, wheel bearings, and lock nuts,
  3. Remove the front disc brake hub and rotor (1102) and front wheel bearing outer cone and roller (1216) from the front wheel spindle,
  4. Remove the nuts retaining the front wheel spindle to the steering knuckle. Tap the front wheel spindle with a nylon or rawhide hammer to jar the front wheel spindle from the knuckle. Remove the front disc brake rotor shield (2K004).

4X4 Axle R&R View
graphic

1. On the left side of the vehicle remove the shaft and joint assembly by pulling the assembly out of the carrier.
  2. On the right side of the carrier, remove and discard the keystone clamp from the shaft and joint assembly and the stub shaft.

4X4 Drive Axle Assemblies
graphic

1. Slide the rubber boot onto the stub shaft and pull the shaft and joint assembly from the splines of the stub shaft.
  2. Place the front wheel spindle in a vise on the second step of the front wheel spindle. Wrap a shop towel around the front wheel spindle or use a brass-jawed vise to protect the front wheel spindle.

Removal Of Axle Seal And Bearing
graphic

1. Remove the integral spacer/seal and needle bearing from the front wheel spindle with Impact Slide Hammer T50T-100-A and Bearing Cup Puller T77F-1102-A.

Spindle Inspection
graphic

1. Inspect the sealing surfaces of the front wheel spindle for severely corroded, pitted, worn or galled sealing surfaces. Replace front wheel spindle if damaged.
  2. Inspect the outer shaft of the axle shaft assembly for corroded, pitted, worn or galled surfaces in the inner oil seal or needle bearing areas. If damaged, replace the outer shaft. Repair axle shaft U-joint.

INSTALLATION

1. Clean all dirt and grease from the bearing bore of the front wheel spindle. Bearing bores must be free from nicks and burrs.
NOTE: Replacement spindle bearings are shipped with a corrosion-preventive gel. This is not a lubricant. The bearing must be cleaned and replaced with the specified lubricant.

Spindle Bearing Installation
graphic

1. Install a new needle bearing with writing facing outward in the bore of the front wheel spindle with Spindle Bearing Replacer T80T-4000-R on the Dana 50, or T80T-4000-S for the Dana 44 and Driver Handle T80T-4000-W. Lubricate the bearing with high temperature 4x4 Front Axle and Wheel Bearing Grease E8TZ-19590-A (ESA-M1C198-A) or equivalent.
  2. Install a new integral spacer needle bearing seal. Pack bearing and spindle hub seal with grease. Install seal with Seal Replacer T80T-4000-T and Driver Handle T80T-4000-W.

Axle Diaphragm Seal
graphic

1. Install the Rolling Diaphragm Seal on the axle shaft. The lip of the seal should face toward the front wheel spindle. Seat the rolling diaphragm seal by lightly tapping on the inner sheet metal lip of the seal with a straight punch to make sure it is sealed squarely.

Axle Diaphragm Seal Install
graphic

1. Lightly coat the thrust face of the lips of the seal bore of the front wheel spindle and the Rolling Diaphragm Seal on the axle shaft with High Temperature 4x4 Front Axle and Wheel Bearing Grease E8TZ-19590-A (ESA-M 10198-A) or equivalent.
NOTE: Since the splines on the shaft are phased, there is only one way to assemble the right shaft and joint through the knuckle and into the slip-yoke.
  1. On the right side of the carrier, install the rubber boot and new keystone clamps on the stub shaft slip-yoke.
  2. Align the missing spline in the slip-yoke barrel with the gapless male spline on the shaft and joint assembly.
  3. Slide the right shaft and joint assembly through the knuckle and into the slip-yoke making sure the splines are fully engaged.
  4. Slide the boot over the assembly and crimp the keystone clamp using Keystone Clamp Pliers T63P-9171-A.
  5. On the left side of the carrier slide the shaft and joint through the knuckle and engage the splines on the shaft in the carrier.
NOTE: Make sure the grease seal lip totally encircles the front wheel spindle.
  1. Install the front disc brake rotor shield and front wheel spindle onto the steering knuckle, both sides. Install and tighten the nuts of the front wheel spindle to 81 Nm (60 ft. lb.) for Model 50 axle or 47 Nm (35 ft. lb.) for Model 44 axle.
  2. Install the front disc brake hub and rotor on the front wheel spindle. Install the outer wheel bearing into the cup,
  3. Install the wheel bearing, locknut, front wheel outer bearing retainer washer (1195), snap ring and locking hubs, Install the front disc brake caliper, On vehicles equipped with 4-wheel anti-lock brakes, install the front brake anti-lock sensor on the steering knuckle.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i am trying to replace the universal on the stub shaft and cannot remove the stub shaft
Expert:  lostrider replied 6 years ago.
here are the instructions to remove the stub shaft,

4X4 Drive Axle Assemblies
graphic

lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.