AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

I have a 93 ford ranger. There is no power going to the fuel

Customer Question

I have a 93 ford ranger. There is no power going to the fuel pump. The fuel pump, fuel relays, ignition switch, and inertia switch are good. Where else could my problem be?
Category: Ford
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 5 years ago.
You got the 2.3, 3.0, or 4.0 engine in your Ranger?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
3.0
Do you have battery voltage at the fuel pump connector... when you hook the voltmeter to it??

Here is the pinout of the connector:
graphic

Yes, then the problem is with the pump, or inside the tank.

No... click here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

there is no power to the connector. The wire and connector is good, I can force power back and the fuel pump runs.

the "No...click here" option is not working. It takes me to the homework helper

Well, that is unusual.
Hmmm...

LEt's try it this way, then:

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The pressure test within range. I can run a test lead all the way back to the fuel pump. The pump runs, fuel goes all the way to the motor, the ignition turns, but the truck will not fire. I don't believe the injectors are opening. And again the first proble is that no power is reaching the fuel pump connector on its own.
OK.. I see where you going...

Is there spark at the plugs?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, spark to all plugs
What happens when you run power to the connector that I showed you in the last picture?

Pump run? or no?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the pump runs. I can run power from the fuel pump relay, and it will reach all the way to the fuel pump and the pump will run.
HAve you hooked the jumper wire to the connector I showed you?

Or are you running a wire from the pump relay to the pump?

I need to know what happens when you hook to the connector in the picture.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've done it both ways. The power travels through.
You checked fuses, right?

Do you get fuel pressure when you turn the key on? or do you absolutely have to jump power to it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
fuses are good. No pressure from the ignition. Must jump power.
That is a WEIRD kind of problem!!

You have spark, so the PCM relay is good, as well as the ignition switch. The pump runs when you jump power to the fuel pump relay and test connectors.. so there is no problem in the wiring to the pump or any of that.

You might want to look into that fuel pump relay again, because something got missed somewhere.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've already replaced the relays just to be sure.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Hello!

Sounds like the computer is not energizing the fuel pump relay. If this is the case, the computer may not be powering up. This could be because of several reasons. Missing powers or grounds. Maybe even bad ignition switch. (Make sure the check engine light comes on with the key in the on position).

Or, maybe the fuel pump relay is not getting powered up from the pcm relay. Then this would make sense because the same power that powers up the fuel pump relay, powers up the injectors.

You are going to have to start at the beginning. See if the pcm relay is getting powered up and that the circuit is working. THen move on to the fuel pump relay.

Here is the wiring diagram for this circuit.

graphic

graphic