lostrider
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.

How to set timing marks on 1998 ford 5.4L

how to set timing marks on 1998 ford 5.4L
Category: Ford
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What model is your Ford?

-What type of engine is in your Ford? is it a Romeo or a Windsor engine?

-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We need to know how to do the timming on a 1998 Ford Expedition
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
I need to know if the engine is a Windsor or a Romeo engine to give you the proper information, if you dont know, if you can give me the 17 digit vin number I can find out for you.
lostrider, Ford Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Ford Senior Master Technician,Diesel certified, ASE Master, 22 yrs FORD exp.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

it a windor

Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX right back with the info,.
Expert:  lostrider replied 5 years ago.
here are the install procedure for the timing chains and gears, there are special tool required to do this job, with out the tools you stand a very good chance of engine damage.

Installation

1. CAUTION: Timing chain procedures must be followed exactly or damage to valves and pistons will result.

CAUTION: Do not compress the ratchet assembly. This will damage the ratchet assembly.

Compress the tensioner plunger, using an edge of a vise.
graphic
  1. Using a small screwdriver or pick, push back and hold the ratchet mechanism.
graphic
  1. While holding the ratchet mechanism, push the ratchet arm back into the tensioner housing.
graphic
  1. Install a paper clip into the hole in the tensioner housing to hold the ratchet assembly and plunger in during installation.
graphic
  1. Remove the tensioner from the vise.
  1. If the copper links are not visible, mark one link on one end and two links on the other end, and use as timing marks.
graphic
  1. Install the timing chain guides.
graphic
  1. CAUTION: Do not turn the engine over with the camshaft positioning tool or damage to the camshaft sprocket or the bolt may occur.

Install the Camshaft Positioning Tool.
  1. Slightly loosen the camshaft holding tools to allow slight camshaft movement. Rotate the LH camshaft with the Camshaft Positioning Tool until the timing mark is approximately at 12 o'clock.
    Rotate the RH camshaft with the Camshaft Positioning Tool until the timing mark is approximately at 11 o'clock. Tighten the Camshaft Holding Tools to maintain camshaft pre-positioning.
graphic
  1. CAUTION: Unless otherwise instructed, at no time when the timing chain/belts are removed and the cylinder heads are installed is the crankshaft or camshaft to be rotated. Severe piston and valve damage will occur.

CAUTION: Rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise only. Do not rotate past position shown or severe piston and/or valve damage can occur.

Position the crankshaft with the Crankshaft Holding Tool.
graphic
  1. Remove the Crankshaft Holding Tool.
  1. NOTE: Crankshaft sprockets are identical. They may only be installed one way. Refer to the following illustration for correct crankshaft sprocket installation.

If removed, install the LH and RH crankshaft sprockets.
graphic
  1. Install the LH timing chain onto the crankshaft sprocket, aligning the one copper (marked) link on the timing chain with the slot on the crankshaft sprocket.
graphic
  1. NOTE: Make sure the upper half of the timing chain is below the tensioner guide dowel.

NOTE: If necessary, adjust the camshaft sprocket slightly to obtain timing mark alignment

Position the LH timing chain on the camshaft sprocket with the two copper (marked) chain links and the camshaft sprocket timing mark aligned.
graphic
  1. Position the RH (outer) timing chain on the crankshaft sprocket, aligning the copper (marked) link with the timing mark on the sprocket.
graphic
  1. NOTE: If necessary, adjust the camshaft sprocket slightly to obtain timing mark alignment with the Camshaft Positioning Tool.

Position the RH timing chain/belt on the camshaft sprocket. Make sure the two copper-colored links align with the camshaft sprocket timing mark.
graphic
  1. Position the LH and RH timing chain tensioner arms on the dowel pins. Position the timing chain tensioner assemblies, and install the bolts.
graphic
  1. Remove the pins from the RH and LH timing chain tensioner assemblies.
graphic
  1. Remove the Camshaft Holding Tool.
graphic
  1. As a post-check, verify correct alignment of all timing marks.
graphic
  1. Position the crankshaft sensor ring on the crankshaft.
graphic
  1. Apply a bead of silicone along the head-to-block surface and the oil pan-to-block surface as specified.
    • Use Silicone Gasket and Sealant F6AZ-19562-AA or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSE-M4G323-A6.
graphic
  1. Install the engine front cover; refer to Engine Front Cover—5.4L in this section.
HERE ARE THE SPECIAL TOOLS REQUIRED

Timing Drive Components—Windsor Engine

Special Tool(s)
graphic Crankshaft Holding Tool
303-448 (T93P-6303-A)
graphic Camshaft Holding Tool
303-557 (T96T-6256-B)
graphic Camshaft Positioning Tool
303-S568 (T96T-6256-AR)