Steve
Steve, Sr. Tech
Experience:  20 years as a FORD dealership tech
5096800

My brakes feel like there slipping. Although I just had the

Customer Question

My brakes feel like there slipping. Although I just had the front pads and rotors replaced. My ABS light is NOT on, and the guys at Midas said there is nothing mechanically wrong or not seeing anything wrong when they drove around with the computer on it. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
..HELLO!
Can you better describe the slipping you feel? All info is needed to help chase this down for you. RSVP
Steve
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Steve. Okay, so I'm slowing down with no problem, but when I fully stop, I slip a little further before really stopping. I'm afraid I'm going to rear end somebody. I called the Ford shop where I bought the truck and the said if it was the ABS, the light would come on right away if there was a problem, and I have no light on. I'm just making sure these guys at Midas aren't ripping me off.
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
..HELLO!
Is this slip feel come with a vibration in the brake pedal and maybe a growling sound? RSVP
Steve
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
More like a growling sound, occassionally. Haven't really felt any vibration. I did look up the receipt from Midas and I have the rotor numbers. They told me originally that the "grooves" didn't exactly match the last set. Would that make a difference?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
..HELLO!
This is what I was afraid of. When they replaced the rotors they used some kind of generic brand that doesn't have the correct number of "teeth" what they call "grooves" for your truck. Are they ripping you? Yes, due to lack of knowledge. There is a reason that they were low bidder for the job. Your ABS light won't come on because it's working properly according to the info it gets from the rotors.
Replace both rotors with Ford parts and get some $$ back. Trust the MIDAS touch to get into your wallet only.
Steve
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, so do you know the appropriate rotor numbers that I should have on my truck or know where I can find that information without finding a Ford dealer first?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
..HELLO!
I don't have that info because it varies by vehicle. If you don't go to Ford then you might as well stick with MIDAS.
Steve
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm not saying I'm not going to Ford, but I have $550 with Midas, and I need to know what I'm talking about when I go into Midas to get my money back. So, I would need to know what rotor number I would need...do you know where I can get this information? See, I would have to get my money back from Midas in order to take the car to Ford. Why would I not go to Ford....I didn't say anything like that...just that I didn't plan on going there first. So, my vehicle is a 2002 Ford Ranger Supercab V6 183. Any ideas?
Expert:  Steve replied 6 years ago.
..HELLO!
Sorry that I misunderstood you. Call any Ford dealer parts dept and get the right part # XXXXX retail price.
Steve