chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience

How do you remove the door panel on a sport trac

Customer Question

How do you remove the door panel on a sport trac?
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Hi there

Need some info --I cant see what year sport track this is-what year is it ?

and front or rear ?

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2001 front driver side, there is something loose in there that falls back and forth and depending on which way it is leaning the door will not unlock.
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

ok- you have a broken door latch an it needs to be replaced - it has a broken spring in it ,, also if your outside door handle feels floppy too then it has broken springs on it too,so you might as well replace it to while you are in there

first use a flat bladed screw driver and get under the power window switch bezel and pop it up and off

graphic

then remove the two screws by the inside door handle and the bezel around the inside door handle

graphic

graphic

then there are two screws on the bottom of the door panel --then use a big flat bladed screw driver and start at the bottom of the door panel and get between the door panel and the door and pry the door panel away from the door,, work your way across the bottom and up both sides,,, then lift up on the door panel to release it from the top and the door panel is off

graphic

any more info , just ask --we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the info, very helpful. im in there now, got any pointers or schematic of the door latch? It does work every other time or so, the motor is fine but that's what ford wanted to replace.
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

to replace the door latch

remove the inside door handle

remove the latch side window run bolt and remove the latch side run

graphic

then you unclip the rod for the outside door handle and lock tumbler

graphic

graphic

then drill out the rivet for the power door lock actuator and unplug it

graphic

graphic

then remove the screws for the latch

graphic

and thats it

Chris

chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

Hi there

Did you need any more help or info ,, ?

if not please hit the accept button

Thanks , Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Not sure it's something I want to mess with. Do you know what it might cost to have all that done?
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

YES --The door latch is $55---if you need an outside door handle its $60 --and then it may have to be painted $50 --- and then labor is $200 to install the parts

Chris