chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

93 ford explorer: my headlights and tail-lights will not work..diagram

I have a 93 ford explorer, recently my headlights and tail-lights will not work together, i can have one on or the other, how can i make them both work together again? i just recently got pulled over and have to fix the problem or will be fined for not having them working. i was told it was a fuse, but my fusebox doesn't have a diagram and i lost the original owners manual
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 8 years ago.

Hi there

It sounds like you have a bad headlamp switch ---but I am not sure ,are you able to remove the headlamp switch to do some testing with me ---if you are, then tell me when your ready and we will start ----if you are not able ---A headlamp switch is my best guess here , I do not think its a fuse ,, when a fuse is bad ,it stays bad ,, it will not let something work sometimes and not other times ..

we can go back and fourth on this page

Chris

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how would i check the headlamp switch?

alright lets put it this way, when i pull the switch to the middle, my tail lights will turn on, but when i pull it all the way, the headlights go on, but tail lights will not, if i fiddle with it long enoug amd set it at a certain place it sometimes turns on but sometimes won't, so you then think it woul be the switch? but how do i remove the switch and test it, or should i just get a mechanic to do it?
Expert:  chris replied 8 years ago.

Ok ---now I do not THINK its the headlamp switch I KNOW its the headlamp switch ----how do you replace it ??--lol-----that was fifteen years ago ---lets see---

graphic

oh yes its starting to come back to me ---pull the headlamp switch knob out like your turning on the headlamps---the knob on the end of the metal shaft can be pulled off with a pick --there is a notch in the knob --in that notch is a metal tab,,use your pick and pull that metal tab towards you and at the same time pull off the knob ----now thats the knob is off ---at the end of the shaft is the black ring protruding out ---this is a big nut ,unscrew it ,,it holds the headlamp switch to the dash panel -----now you can pull back on the dash panel starting at the lower corner of it and you can reach behind it to grab the headlamp switch ,,, unplug it ,,, and now its out -----now on the headlamp switch is a push a little push button --this is to get the metal rod out ---push on the button and pull the rod out ---put the rod in the new switch and install it ---thats it

Chris

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Awesome. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX My lights now work, i can fight my ticket now. thank you sooo much I wish i had more to offer, but i hope the 9 dollars helps! You PWN. If I need anything else, I'll be sure to get a hold of you!