Wrenchtech
Wrenchtech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40 years experience with ASE certification as Master Technician with L1--Repair Shop Owner

Where is the MAP sensor located on an 05 Explorer 4.0 L eng

Where is the MAP sensor located on an '05 Explorer 4.0 L engine?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wrenchtech replied 5 years ago.
That engine doesn't use a MAP. It has a Mass Air Flow instead.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you sure? The shop manual refers in many places to a MAP sensor and shows manifold absolute pressure as input to the PCM.
It's giving you a description of a generic system. Yours does not use one.

ELECTRONIC ENGINE CONTROLS

The electronic engine controls consist of the following:

• Powertrain control module (PCM)
  • Throttle position (TP) sensor
  • Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor (4.0L SOHC)
  • Cylinder head temperature (CHT) sensor (4.6L 2V)
  • Camshaft position (CMP) sensor
  • Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor
  • Mass air flow (MAF) sensor
  • Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S)
  • Catalyst monitor sensor
  • Knock sensor (KS)

The PCM carries out the following functions:

• accepts input from various engine sensors to compute the fuel flow rate necessary to maintain a prescribed air/fuel ratio throughout the entire engine operational range.
  • outputs a command to the fuel injectors to meter the appropriate quantity of fuel.

The TP sensor:

• sends the PCM a signal indicating the throttle plate angle.
  • is the main input to the PCM from the driver.

The ECT sensor (4.0L SOHC):

• sends the PCM a signal indicating engine temperature.
  • voltage decreases as coolant temperature increases.

The CHT sensor (4.6L 2V):

• is mounted to the wall of the cylinder head and is not connected to any coolant passages.

The CMP sensor:

• sends the PCM a signal indicating camshaft position used for fuel synchronization.

The CKP sensor:

• sends the PCM a signal indicating crankshaft position.
  • is essential for calculating spark timing.

The MAF sensor:

• uses a hot wire sensing element to measure the amount of air entering the engine. Air passing over the hot wire causes it to cool.

The HO2S:

• creates a voltage signal dependent on exhaust oxygen content.
  • provides feedback information to the PCM used to calculate fuel delivery.

The catalyst monitor sensor:

The KS:

• is used to detect engine detonation.
  • sends a voltage signal to the PCM.
  • is able to provide a signal which retards the ignition timing, as necessary.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So what causes the P106 trouble code refer to?
Well, first there is no P106. If it's a PO106, that is a MAP code but it has to be wrong because the truck just doesn't have one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Your are right, the code is PO106.

Is there another sensor problem that would trigger the PO106 trouble code?

No, there isn't but it could be a programming problem with the PCM triggering a false code. That is quite common these days. The cure is the dealer downloads an updated program.
Wrenchtech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 40 years experience with ASE certification as Master Technician with L1--Repair Shop Owner
Here is something else for you. One of the top Ford dealer techs here just gave me this TSB. It appeasrs that it's possible for the MAF to set this code also but to tell you the truth, I would still let the dealer handle it because it still may come back to programming.

TSB